Corsair Community

8G Flash Voyager Died

alan2007

Got an 8G Flash Voyager about 5 months ago, and up until a week ago, it worked fairly well.

I tried using it the other day, and Windows XP Pro shows the drive, but when I click on it, I was warned that The drive was not formatted. Do you want to format it now. I said no, and did a scandisk. This was a big mistake, as windows spent 2 hours after reboot churning away on the drive. After windows booted, I got the same result.

So, I downloaded about 7 different recovery programs, and did manage to pull some data off, mostly corrupt or chk files (damn scandisk). I also noticed that the drive is only reporting its size as 3.968G, about half of what it is suppose to.

Having given up on recovering my data, as I have some of it backed up elsewhere, I decided to reformat the drive and start from scratch. Windows wants to format the drive size as 3.87G. I cannot seem to get it to recognize the whole 8G.

I am assuming that this is a hardware issue with the drive, and not one of those things where I have to pull some tricks to get it to function properly. Anyone having the same issue, or an idea on how to make this drive work?

Thanks,

Alan

Ram Guy,

I tried the fdisk procedure, many times. I had to reboot 3 times to get it to see the whole 8G (7.935G). Once I got it to partition the whole drive to 7.935G, I put it on my XP machine to format it. It errored during format, and then it only reported half its size like before. I tried fdisk a dozen more times, but never could get it to see anything more that 3.967G. I followed the procedure you had linked too, but am still not able to make this drive work. Any more suggestions, or should I request an RMA number?

Thanks,

Alan

Archived