Corsair Community

HX-620 problem

JulesH

I built a new system with a new hx-620 and when I turn the pc on, the hx-620 fan spins for a second and my device get power for a second, then it turns off for a few seconds. It does this continuously cycling on and off.

I tried removing the motherboard (gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R) from the case and using a screwdriver to short the power switch leads to turn it on and it does the same thing. I've also tried different ram slots and ram sticks.

I removed the 12v 4 pin cpu power cable connector and tried powering it up and it turns on and spins my fans like normal. This is weird because it should not turn on without the 4 pin connector connected to the motherboard.

I tried it in an older computer with an Asus p4c800-e deluxe motherboard and it does not work there either. But, I'm not sure if that motherboard is compatible.

Should the hx-620 work with the asus p4c800-e deluxe? Is it my power supply? Should I got buy a new one just to test out? I send an RMA request today but I want to make sure before I return it.'

The PSU should work fine with either MOBO. Try this, disconnect the PSU from the system, both the 24 pin and 2ndary 12v pin (either the 4 or 8 pin). Then, connect several devices to the PSU leads to give it some sort of load. A couple of 12v fans, your optical drive, or similiar should be fine. Then, use a jumper wire to short the PSU and "jump start" it and see what happens.

I linked a pic to show the proper pins.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2760&d=1190220051

atx.gif.9f96a8161736f28b263d4d889a036b0a.gif

The PSU should work fine with either MOBO. Try this, disconnect the PSU from the system, both the 24 pin and 2ndary 12v pin (either the 4 or 8 pin). Then, connect several devices to the PSU leads to give it some sort of load. A couple of 12v fans, your optical drive, or similiar should be fine. Then, use a jumper wire to short the PSU and "jump start" it and see what happens.

I linked a pic to show the proper pins.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2760&d=1190220051

I pretty much did this. I disconnected the 4 pin cable and left the 24 pin connected and the power supply had a bunch of fans hooked to it and it powers on. It's the 4pin cable that is screwing things up, with that connected, I get nothing.

So you want me to short pins 15 and 16? EDIT Nevermind, I see, just short the green and black wires. Thanks for your help I will give it a try. I'm assuming pin 14 needs to go low to turn on the transistors.

I pretty much did this. I disconnected the 4 pin cable and left the 24 pin connected and the power supply had a bunch of fans hooked to it and it powers on. It's the 4pin cable that is screwing things up, with that connected, I get nothing.

Based on this, it sounds like the PSU is seeing a short on the MOBO.

Based on this, it sounds like the PSU is seeing a short on the MOBO.

That's what I was afraid of, but it doesn't work on my other PC either.

I shorted the leads and it powers on.

It will not power on at all when it is properly connected to either of my two motherboards. I see what you are saying, but if that were the case, it should work on my other computer?

I am going to buy a power supply from a local store to try and see if that works.

I really appreciate your help.

If you can I would test the PSU with another MB, in addition, do you have a HDD and maybe a fan connected to the PSU?

Yeah, I tried it on my old PC with some fans connected and it didn't work either.

I just bought a power supply from a store and I got the computer to post with it.

I've got my RMA number and I will be returning the corsair tomorrow.

Thanks all for your help.

Archived