Corsair Community

INTEL Registered ram?!? does it exist?!?

Ruckuss

I recently just purchased a new system, now i'm kind of stuck on the RAM issue. I bought the Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 Registered ECC Memory (2 x 512MB) and i put it into my Abit IC7-MAX3 and it didnt work at all!! At first, i thought it was a problem with the motherboard or something else, but we tried another normal stick of ram my friend had and it worked fine! What's wrong?!? Is my ram busted? OR is it that my motherboard does not support this particular RAM. DOES ANY INTEL MOBO SUPPORT REGISTERED RAM?!?!? I know we double checked with the manual for my mobo and it says that it supports ECC ram but i dont remember seeing anything about Registered ram....i kind of thought they were both one in the same! I hope someone can help me! My current system is: P4 3.4C 800FSB /w HT A-bit IC7 MAX3 Mobo Radeon 9600pro 120GB S-ATA HDD Antec Case

Yes, there are Intel chipsets that support Registered and ECC RAM combined. However, these are motherboards with Workstation/Server chipsets, the E7501 and E7505 (and the other server/workstation sets, see Intel site on chipsets for more). All the current desktop chipsets by Intel do not support Registered and ECC RAM technologies. Which is what you have unfortunately. I think there's a FAQ here that states the difference between ECC and Registered technologies. In short, RAM can be ECC only. Registered only. Neither. Or Both. However, ECC and Registered are usually put together because they usually go on the "high end" workstation/server market which does use them. There are ECC only modules and those are the ones you want for your system. J1NG

Thanks! Unfortunately i would benefit more with the Registered ram as a 3D animator. BUT it's too late now since i already bought and put together my Mobo. I really dont want to exchange anything right now and do all that work again to fix it just for registered ram. I'll be content with the non registered version i bought i guess, and i'll take it with a grain of salt for now, then when i purchase a new PC in a year or two, i'll research more into workstation boards. Thanks

Archived