Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-5400C4 on Msi G33M: Bad memory or bad settings?

jaydlee

Configuration purchased:

Motherboard: MSI G33M Rev1.0 Bios flash to last version 1.1

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 @ 1.8 GHz Stepping L2

Memory: Corsair 2Gig Kit TWIN2X2048-5400C4

I have a very hard time to install the OS. I had several blue screen during the installation procedure. I took me at least 5 times before the setup could finish with some abnormal reboot/resume. Now the system could run, but I have often blue screen or the computer just crash. I suspected the memory, so I decided to test it with Memtest86+ with the Bios set with Load Optimized Defaults with the default voltage memory (1.9V). Done 3 passes, it found 1 error on each pass (all different).

I know that I can make manual setting in the Bios, so I want to know them to get my system stable. Also, which voltage setting is best 1.8, 1.9(Default), 2.0 or 2.1V? I don't have accessed to other memory modules neither a motherboard to confirm if it's a motherboard problem or the memory modules.

I hope you can help me to fix the problem. I'll tried to do some testing with only one module at a time to find if both modules make errors.

Jay

I've just finish many different tests on each module. Testing one module at a time on the DIMM_A1 slot with Memtest 86+ v1.70 on a floppy disk, with setup optimized default (also try load safe default) and set the voltage memory at 1.9V (also try 1.8V and 2.0V). I've disable the usb legacy controller and also set the VGA Share Memory to 1.0MB instead of 8MB to test the maximum size memory I can, which is 1021MB and not 1024MB (2MB used/reserved for the CPU and 1MB used for GPU/VGA Share memory, I think).

The result is that one module pass all the test that I've made with absolutely no error, but the other one failed to pass the test #5 several time. So I think I have a bad memory module that have to be replaced.

I'm now running my system with just one memory module in single channel mode and the system is more stable, but I still have some issues, less often (Blue screen: IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL). Maybe, it's my windows installation that is corrupted because I made it with both memory module and I have several recoverable crash during the setup.

So I guess that I have to do an RMA for a replacement part and hope that I've not an other problem in my system? I have to pay for the shipment to Fermont,CA right:(:

Jay

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them or it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or “Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum! You are correct, you will pay to ship the parts to us, and we will pay for the return shipment.

I received my RMA number last tuesday, but I can't ship the memory now. I cannot live without a computer so I need to build one with my old components before shipped both memory modules.

If all goes well, I hope to ship them at the beginning of next week.

Jay

PS: Them we're hook on those machines:laughing:

Archived