Corsair Community

Value Select pc3200 seems to run slower than my OEM PC2700

fjohn69

RAM Guy, First time on this deal. I have one those new Media Center PCs, mine is a Sony Vaio with an Intel 3.0GHz HT and MB-800FB Intel 865PE Chipset, and this thing came with two 256MB PC2700 hnnix chips, CL2.5. Sony uses this motherboard on their models that run either the PC2700 or the PC3200 memory. Okay, I bought a Corsair VSGBKIT400 of the Value Select to give this new (about 2 months old) media center PC some help with the video editing and such. Thus I went from 512MB of PC2700 to the Corsair 1GB PC3200 and my system ran a little slower! But it ran stable, and had no errors. Furthermore, the TV capture "seemed" to be at a lower quality too. I do not build PCs regulary, and I have no means for testing the chips. But they worked well, they just seemd to be slow. The system bios will not allow any adjustment either, not surprizing. Now, I put the Korean hnnix PC2700 chips back in the machine and it runs a little quicker. I wished I bought your quality stuff! But I donnot play games and I thought a good quality desktop replacement memory would be good enough. I am building a custom machine (not a media center PC) for CAD design, data functions, fun and surfing and I was thinking of putting that Value Select memory in it, but I again would have bought the XMS if it were to do it all over again. Please advise....Thanks I am thinking of listing this brand new memory on EBAY to just dump it. :mad:

• Corsair Employees
Have you tried any benchmarks? What are the settings in which the system is running the memory? For a good look at what the computer is actually running the memory at you can use AIDA32. It will tell you the timings and frequency that everything is running at, as well as memory benchmarks. I can’t help you with tuning the system, as it is an OEM system. It should be faster if it is taking advantage of the bandwidth that is available with 3200 memory. Let me know if there is anything else. Thanks!

Archived