Corsair Community

won't boot, TWIN2X2048-8500C5 and Asus P5W DH Deluxe

apocalypse

I've had my current setup just over a year now with no problems and no hardware changes, but this week I've been having problems booting.

When the problem occurs, the power and hard drive activity lights stay on for about a minute, then the hard drive light goes off, the display goes to power save mode and nothing else occurs.

My RAM is currently running at 2.2V, 1036 MHz and the FSB on the motherboard is 345 MHz. My CPU is running at AUTO voltage which I believe is 1.315 V.

I've reset the BIOS, disconnected all devices except the video card and hard drive, still wouldn't boot. I put everything back together and finally got it to boot by removing 1 stick of RAM. I then swapped sticks and it still booted. I put both sticks back in and things were fine.

For the last 4 days, the same thing has occurred. It seems to occur during a cold boot when the PC has been idle for a few hours. Reboots have been fine and if I shut down the PC and start it back up right away, it will boot.

I ran Memtest86+ V1.70 and when I came back in 10 minutes, the screen was stuck at Test 3 and the PC would not respond and I had to hit the reset button. I let Memtest run again and this time it hung at Test 5.

Does this appear to be a problem with my RAM? Any other troubleshooting ideas? Is there an exchange in advance (send me out replacement and upon receipt I send my malfunctioning RAM back) if this is a RAM issue?

edit: I purchased some other RAM (Ballistix BL2KIT12864AA1065) and after several reboots throughout the day I have not had any issues. I think this confirms the Corsair RAM is the issue.

It doesn't matter if the single sticks don't give any errors, I bought a matched pair and they aren't working as a matched pair. They worked fine for a year, now they don't.

Regardless, I ran Memtest on each stick and no errors occurred. I also ran Memtest on the new pair, installed as a pair, and they checked out okay.

• Corsair Employees
What type of processor are you using? I would recommend that you make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard and then load optimized defaults and set the Memory Voltage to 2.2 volts and then set the timings to 5-5-5-15 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-CMD Rate) and see if you are still having the same problems. You may also want to try changing the "Write to Precharge Delay" to 15.

The CPU is an Intel E6600.

I am using the latest BIOS v. 2004 for my Asus P5W DH Deluxe and have also tried the beta BIOS 2301, however the problem still occurred.

I was already running the memory at 2.2 V and at the latencies you specified 5-5-5-15, the problem remained. Also, there was no setting in my BIOS for "Write to Precharge Delay" under the memory settings, and cpu-z also did not list that setting for the memory.

Switching the memory out for another set and leaving the BIOS settings as I had resolved the issue.

• Corsair Employees
And what do you have the memory frequency set to? Should be 800 MHz with that MB and CPU? But I have no problem replacing the module if you want to try that. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Thanks for your assistance RAM GUY.

I would like to have them replaced rather than futz with them further. I've had them running at near their rated speed for over a year, and, well, I didn't pay a premium to not run them at that speed.

I've requested an RMA in the meantime, thanks again for your help.

edit: One error I made when requesting the RMA was to put the thread number listed in the http address "63048" instead of the Post ID Number "308824" listed in the upper right. If there is any way to correct that it would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived