Corsair Community

Intel 865GLC Board and Corsair XMS

Bluedog

My current setup is an Intel D865GLC mobo with a P4 2.4A CPU. The board specs recommend using 2.6V memory. I am in the process of upgrading to a P4 3.0C HT CPU. I understand that Intel boards aren't known for OCing but the memory settings can be adjusted on this board. Having said that I do some gaming and have a Nvidia 5900SE GFC. I am wanting to add a dual channel memory setup (Corsair XMS TWinx 1024/3200C2 Pro). For a more stock system should this be the best choice or would I be better off with the LL series for future tweaking? Are there any known issues using this type memory with my board? The Intel current BIOS is P10. Thanks a bunch from a new guy

• Corsair Employees
You should be fine with either module on this MB, but the Intel version of the MB does not offer all of the settings needed to properly over clock. I would suggest you consider another MB maker if you really want to run these modules though!

Well I got the new P4 3.0GHz installed and the TWINX 1024-3200C2. Booted up just fine but Intel BIOS set RAM timings @ 2.5-3-3-8. Tried the Aquamark test and scored around 41,000. That wasn't much better than the 2.4A though :confused: so changed the RAM under the BIOS Advanced Configuration to 2-3-3-6 and what a difference :eek: Aquamark score increased to 48,827. Does that difference seem correct? Anyway very satisfied customer so for.

• 1 year later...
I also have an Intel D865GLC with a P4 3.0E HT CPU, Corsair XMS TWinx 1024/3200C2 (waiting for Twinx2048-3200c2), and an ATI AIW x800xt. The latest Bios (P24), mobo drivers, and vid card drivers. I tried the 2-3-3-6 setup and the system will only run for 10-15 minutes before crashing. Crashes within 5 minutes of playing Call of Duty 2. Any ideas as to why the previous poster was able to use these settings? Different Bios version? Thanks for any insight? :biggrin:

I am afraid to say this, but most of the lower-end Intel boxed motherboards have no provision at all whatsoever to manually set the memory voltage. That means that the DDR voltage is permanently fixed at the JEDEC-reference value of 2.5V. If you are stuck with the Corsair XMS 3200C2 modules on such a motherboard, the best that you can do is to run them at SPD-detected JEDEC-standard timings (in this case, 3-3-3-8). [quote name='dsanquenetti']I also have an Intel D865GLC with a P4 3.0E HT CPU, Corsair XMS TWinx 1024/3200C2 (waiting for Twinx2048-3200c2), and an ATI AIW x800xt. The latest Bios (P24), mobo drivers, and vid card drivers. I tried the 2-3-3-6 setup and the system will only run for 10-15 minutes before crashing. Crashes within 5 minutes of playing Call of Duty 2. Any ideas as to why the previous poster was able to use these settings? Different Bios version? Thanks for any insight? :biggrin:[/QUOTE] Your modules are very likely of a different revision than those of the thread starter's. (As in your modules are of a higher-numbered revision, while those of the thread-starter's are likely of v1.1 or v1.2 - and the earlier versions are likely to be more tolerant of relatively tight timings at relatively low voltages than the later versions.)

[quote name='RJLeong65']I am afraid to say this, but most of the lower-end Intel boxed motherboards have no provision at all whatsoever to manually set the memory voltage. That means that the DDR voltage is permanently fixed at the JEDEC-reference value of 2.5V. If you are stuck with the Corsair XMS 3200C2 modules on such a motherboard, the best that you can do is to run them at SPD-detected JEDEC-standard timings (in this case, 3-3-3-8). Your modules are very likely of a different revision than those of the thread starter's. (As in your modules are of a higher-numbered revision, while those of the thread-starter's are likely of v1.1 or v1.2 - and the earlier versions are likely to be more tolerant of relatively tight timings at relatively low voltages than the later versions.)[/QUOTE] Thanks alot for the response! I may just look at picking up a new MOBO seeing as I have two more sticks of this stuff on the way. :winking:

Archived