Corsair Community

Corsair DDR2 PC6400 DDR2-800 on a Compaq Presario?

moneyaddyct

Hey guys, so here's the deal.

I have one system with 4GB of Ram. The full specs are: 4096MB Corsair™ DDR2 PC6400 DDR2-800 (4x1024). It's a Velocity Micro Gamer's Edge 1500 on an ASUS P5N-E SLI nForce 650i SLI, Socket 775, PCI-E, DDR2 motherboard.

I have another system with only 1GB of RAM. The full specs are: 1024MB PC2 5300 DDR2 SDRAM and 2 DIMM. It's a Compaq Presario SR5130NX.

My VM system, with the 4GB of memory, failed due to a lightning strike that entered through the ethernet port and fried the network adapter and damaged the motherboard. There's no indication that the memory was affected at all though. So I went out and purchased the Compaq so I'd have something basic until I could claim the loss of the VM system with my insurance company. Since the Compaq has only 1GB I'd like to take some memory from the first system and add it to this one, or alternatively, I could take the entire 4GB from the VM and install it in the Compaq.

Any way to determine if it's compatible though? If I decide to take the whole 4GB does it even need to be compatible? Thanks!

Archived