Corsair Community

Crickets in my 520HX!

Invincible

After 8 or so months I have finally gotten my HTPC to where I want it to be, or, so I thought. About a month ago I started hearing chirping noises coming from the system but was living in a basement at the time so I wrote it off as a natural occurrence.

Now I've isolated the noise to the power supply. For the first few months of the systems' life, it was on pretty much 24/7. When I first turn it on now, it operates as it should, but quickly starts its chirping routine as the system comes under load. I'm afraid that the thing will go pop one of these days and take my system with it. The Silverstone case it is in has a direct intake vent for the power supply's fan, but it gets VERY warm to the touch - even with the top of the case off.

System Specs:

X2 4200+ EE

ECS KA3 MVP Extreme

2x 1GB PC-5300

5x WD5000AAKS

Radeon X1800GTO

and of course my chirpy 520HX

Having an HTPC isn't fun when all it wants to do is chirp!! :(:

Well, I've had it on since quarter after 1 today, and no chirping. The only other difference I can think of is that my patio door was open and the air coming in was much cooler today.

So... presuming it IS my UPS... why's that? My other system is on another of the same UPSes and it has no trouble. Why should this one? I kinda want my HTPC / Backup server to have a battery backup...

• 4 weeks later...

Well, unfortunately I have to report back...

My home theatre PC has resumed chirping with a passion. I have tried different plugs on my UPS AND directly to the wall. Still chirps. Strangely enough, it started chirping slightly faster with it plugged into the wall.

Highly annoying. :(:

• Corsair Employees
If you would like to get it replaced, Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or “Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Update: I have set up an advanced RMA.

Also, I have done further testing with my case lid off. I had said before that the PSU gets _very_ hot which is when it seems to start chirping. So I've done some experimentation: when it would start to chirp, I'd feel it - it'd be hot, so I grabbed a household sized fan & turned it on blowing directly into it.

Within 30 seconds it stopped squealing / chirping.

Now I'll admit it's a bit cramped in there, but as I said, the power supply can draw air directly from the outside which is fairly cool. I guess I'm wondering why it's running so hot that it begins to make these noises. Is there too much of a load on it? Should I have gone with a bigger powersupply for my system?

Update: I have set up an advanced RMA.

Also, I have done further testing with my case lid off. I had said before that the PSU gets _very_ hot which is when it seems to start chirping. So I've done some experimentation: when it would start to chirp, I'd feel it - it'd be hot, so I grabbed a household sized fan & turned it on blowing directly into it.

Within 30 seconds it stopped squealing / chirping.

Now I'll admit it's a bit cramped in there, but as I said, the power supply can draw air directly from the outside which is fairly cool. I guess I'm wondering why it's running so hot that it begins to make these noises. Is there too much of a load on it? Should I have gone with a bigger powersupply for my system?

• Corsair Employees
Since you will be removing the PSU, you might want to try running the system with the PSU outside of the case. If it is still getting very hot, then there is probably something wrong with it. If it stays cool, then you know its the other heat in the system that is causing the PSU to heat up.

• Corsair Employees
Since you will be removing the PSU, you might want to try running the system with the PSU outside of the case. If it is still getting very hot, then there is probably something wrong with it. If it stays cool, then you know its the other heat in the system that is causing the PSU to heat up.

Wow, the replacement showed up today! Impressive speed. That also means I haven't gotten around to trying to run it out of the case, however I have run it with the top off for several days and that doesn't affect how hot it gets or how much it squeals.

On another topic, do I just send the psu back, or do I need to dig around for all the cables, manual etc that came with it?

Edit: How long do I have to return the old PSU under this advanced RMA replacement? I'm simply wondering because I'm considering ordering a HX620 instead given the # of drives etc I'm running. Maybe the continuous load was too great for the 520?

Edit #2. I think I will just stick with the 520 for now.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started having the same symptoms as Invincible with my 6-months-old HX520W. It is a periodic, somewhat irregular double-squeak 0.95 times per second. Not loud by any means, but the tone is in the part of the sound spectrum where it eventually gets on your nerves. It can be on and off, but mostly on.

Right now, the PSU is plugged directly into wall outlet and is definitely not overheating. The load is well below capacity and I removed the side panel from the case.

Is my PSU defective?

• Corsair Employees
It could be, our PSUs should not "chirp" it could also be the power from your outlet causing it to chirp, or possibly the motherboard. I would recommend testing the PSU on a different system to see if you have the same issues. If you would like to try getting it replaced, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or “Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

This is outrageous!

I checked my credit card statement tonight and I found a charge from corsair memory for the price of a power supply!!

I immediately found the receipt for the parcel I shipped back and saw that it was delivered well over a week ago:

2007/11/02 11:47 94538,USA Item successfully delivered to Receiver

:mad:

Don't worry, it will all be dealt with. Issues in the electronic world we live in do happen but you can be assured that this will be cleared up.

RAM GUY will be back tomorrow (Business days and hours) and will deal with this event. I have sent him a link.

• Corsair Employees
This is outrageous!

I checked my credit card statement tonight and I found a charge from corsair memory for the price of a power supply!!

I immediately found the receipt for the parcel I shipped back and saw that it was delivered well over a week ago:

2007/11/02 11:47 94538,USA Item successfully delivered to Receiver

:mad:

Please contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com and they will help you resolve this issue!

Archived