Corsair Community

Some problem with Ram combination

sagarajack

Hi I'm having problem pairing two sticks of memories, they are exactly the same model (cmx512-3200c2pt) but one was bought couple years earlier than the other.

My setup is a64 3200+ winchester and MSI Neo2 Platinum with award 1.9 bios from MSI. ATI AIW 9600xt, 380watt Antec psu.

When I have both sticks on the mobo in dual channel, sometimes the system won't start at all, when it does, it reports DDR 333. I left all the settings concerning frequency and voltage in AUTO and cycle in 2T.

When I test each ram individually in single channel, start up will report DDR 400. When I check in CPUz, my older ram in SPD timing table will report 200mhz 2.5-3-3-8 2.5v while my newer ram will display 200mhz 3-3-3-8 2.6v.

If I lower the latency manually, the older one is stable under 2-3-3-7 on stock voltage while the newer one is somewhat less stable and has less OC capability than my older one. My older ram has a small v1.5 on the label while my newer ram has v5.1 on the label.

Does the ram version make difference between two ram of the same model?

and Can I RMA my newer ram since it does not come with factory given latency on auto setting?

Does the ram version make difference between two ram of the same model?
YES.

Can I RMA my newer ram since it does not come with factory given latency on auto setting?
I'm pretty sure the answer is NO. Why? NONE of the 3200C2 have their SPD set to the rated timings. ALL 3200C2s have to have their timings and voltage set manually.

• Corsair Employees
We can not guarantee that 2 different revisions of the same part would be compatible, however you should set up the memory manually in the BIOS and see if it helps. Set the latency to 2-3-3-6 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) and memory voltage to 2.75v.

Thank you guys for the help.

I was able to use the two sticks at proper frequency by tweaking the voltage.

the system was really unstable at 2-3-3-6 with 2.75v, so I lowered them to 2.5-3-3-7 and 2.65v, The system is running okay so far. I'm pretty happy about that.

Archived