Corsair Community

TWIN2X1024A-6400, stability and reg for counter strike source

Soleft

This is my memory

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X1024A-6400.pdf

I think I'm trying to achieve stability>performance.

I have uploaded my dxdiag, so you can see the system I am running.

Here is an extract from an article to get "reg" on a game called Counter strike source.

"Set memory voltage to 2.8 in bios default is 2.6 this makes system a lot more stable you can also lower ram timings i use 6-3-3-2 with my 1GB of corsair pro memory this varies on all memory try to find out ur memorys timings - lower timings seem to make recoil alot better"

800MHz at at 5-5-5-15 is the spec that the corsair data sheets give me. Could you recommend me another according to the article?

Thank you for your time

Soleft

DxDiag.txt

That article was written for DDR memory, so it's not really relevant for you, I wouldn't adjust RAM timings unless you're having serious problems with some game... or you really feel like it ;):

In any case it'll probably help video quality in games a lot more if you overclock your graphics card. From your specs, I doubt you'd be having any issue with CS:Source at maxed settings.

I wish that was the case, if my frames drop below 70 I can feel it. My FPS is another issue I will overcome by overclocking the CPU and graphics card. I think the reg issue is related to memory.

When I have my machine turned on for a long time, and I then play css my reg is awful. I can out right be shooting someone in the face and it will not register. I then restart my machine and everything is fine. I think it has something to do with memory.

I play for money, this is why I'm very anal about my system :P

I see.

Mem settings depend, to a large extent, on whether you're willing to fry your RAM and how quickly you're willing to sacrifice it. Hardcore enthusiasts routinely run their RAM at 2.4+ V, which in most cases kills it off in a couple of months or less.

For a start, I'd say you could try 4-4-4-12-2T timings at the same speed you're at now. You may have to push the voltage up to around 2 or 2.1V to get it stable. If you can get that stable and if you think it makes a difference, you can try lowering latencies further or maybe raising frequency a little bit.

If you use something around 2.2V and maybe fiddle with northbridge voltages a little, you might get it stable at a 1T command rate around 800 MHz at CL4, which should make a significant difference to memory bandwidth.

I haven't worked with this exact model of RAM though, so take anything I say with a pinch of salt! :p:

Well I'd like to use this computer for a 1-3 years still...

"If you use something around 2.2V and maybe fiddle with northbridge voltages a little, you might get it stable at a 1T command rate around 800 MHz at CL4, which should make a significant difference to memory bandwidth."

Okay you lost me there lol, I'll educate myself a little more so I can comprehend what your're saying.

Lol, sorry about that. :p:

1T refers to the command rate for RAM, the only two options you have are 2T (1 command every 2 clock cycles) and 1T (1 command every clock cycle).

Maintaining a 1T command rate at high freq settings gets really really hard, but the performance benefits are pretty big.

Your northbridge could be referred to by different terms. If you have a motherboard based on a 680i chipset, it's called an SPP, if you have an AMD board, you don't have a northbridge, it's inside your CPU.

CL4 refers to a CAS latency of 4, where CAS is column address strobe, the first and most important in the set of four numbers that detail RAM timings. (E.g. 4-4-4-12, the first '4' is CAS). This is the number of clock cycles your RAM waits before moving on to the next memory block in a certain "row" of memory blocks. There's actually a wikipedia article that does a decent job at explaining these;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDRAM_latency

Lemme know if I should clear something else up. :o:

Edit: Cleaned up some grammar...

Archived