Corsair Community

QUAD2X vs 2x TWIN2X

codac

Hi!

I'm about to buy a new computer I would like to buy my memory modules from Corsair! :)

But I have a compability question first.

My general question:

Is there any difference between one set of Quad2X modules compared to buying two sets of Twin2X modules, if the modules are otherwise equal. E.g. theese two:

QUAD2X4096-6400C5DHX (datasheet)

TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX (datasheet)

My specific question

What modules do you recommend if I want 4 Gb DDR2800 memory to a Asus P5K-E/WIFI-AP mb.

I have checked the Asus QVL and the only DDR2800 Corsair module on the list is the CM2X1024-6400C4 (a module I can't find at Corsair homepage). Unfortunately it is reported (in this QVL list) not to function in a 4 module (4x1Gb) setup on this motherboard.

When using Corsairs Memory Configurator I get 3 module suggestions for a 4 Gb setup. One is the mentioned Quad2X4096-6400C5DHX

1. Can I be sure that these 4 modules (QUAD2X4096) will run at the said speed (800Mhz) on this Mb or might I be forced to set them to 667 Mhz to get them to work?
  2. If I buy two sets of TWIN2X modules with CAS4 latency instead, will they work at 800Mhz CAS4 with this motherboard? (a 4x1 Gb setup)

3. Looking again at the compatible modules (using Corsairs Memory Configurator) I see that the recommended 4Gb sets for this motherboard are all 2x2Gb (in the list), but they link to 4x1Gb modules, alternatively says the product is not yet available, when I click "buy now". This makes me a bit confused.

More generally:
    Are the 4x1 Gb modules ok for this motherboard or not?
    Will they run at the specified frequency and latency? (Even when bought as two pairs of TWINX modules?)

Thanks for any help!

• Corsair Employees
Yes there is a difference they are guaranteed to run at the tested setting one set at a time. If you want 4 Gig of memory I would suggest Twin2x4096-6400C5DHX for best performance. Some MB's will have to run the memory at DDR667 with 4 modules.

Archived