Corsair Community

Connect HX520 fan to an external fan controller?

szz743

Hello,

Recently the fan in my HX520 started acting very noisy. I was thinking about PSU exchange but found out that I'm not quite alone with this problem, looks like this is a common glitch of this model. So I'm thinking about losing the warranty and doing PSU fan swap. I'm going to replace the broken PSU fan with another one and connect it to the external fan controller (t-balancer). Can you please tell me if it is safe to run this PSU without fan connected to the internal fan controller?

thanks!

• Corsair Employees
Hello,

Recently the fan in my HX520 started acting very noisy. I was thinking about PSU exchange but found out that I'm not quite alone with this problem, looks like this is a common glitch of this model. So I'm thinking about losing the warranty and doing PSU fan swap. I'm going to replace the broken PSU fan with another one and connect it to the external fan controller (t-balancer). Can you please tell me if it is safe to run this PSU without fan connected to the internal fan controller?

thanks!

Hey there, just so you know, it is absolutely not safe at all to run the power supply fan off a fan controller that is not the PSU fan controller. The reason is that the internal PSU fan controller is hooked into the temperature of the PSU components, which means that as the PSU heats up, the internal controller changes the RPM of the fan appropriately. An external fan controller cannot gauge the heat of the PSU as such and you would void your warranty completely, and likely get either a louder PSU or a faulty PSU.

The "clicking" is not a "common" problem with the HX series, it just so happens that since there is only one moving part in a PSU (the fan), and since moving parts are the most likely to fail, whenever a part fails in a PSU it is typically the fan. If your PSU is too loud we will gladly replace it. It should not be making any ticking noise whatsoever, and opening the case to the PSU itself immediately voids the warranty, as you well know.

I highly advise against this, but then again, you spent your own money on the product and are free to do whatever you like with it. Just be aware that if you haven't opened the PSU yet, we will gladly replace a faulty unit under warranty, but once opened, you are on your own in the wild, wild world of capacitors, resistors, transformers, and fans.

If you decide to open it and void the warranty, please be careful around the caps. They can hold a charge for quite a while and cause some damage if you don't watch it.

Thank you for the quick reply,

The problem is not with "clicking", the fan now sounds much louder and irregularly, like a fan that is going to break, I've heard that many times before.

I was going to attach the tempertaure sensor to the PSU heatsink or somethink, t-balancer will monitor it and change rpm as needed, it works just fine.

There is a slight problem with the replacement, I'm in Estonia and not so many Corsair PSU are sold here, so I it'll take couple of weeks to get a replacement.

I've just called to Corsair distributor and they could tell anything specific, even how long it will take for them to test my PSU.

Thanks anyway, I'll think about it. Just tell me if there is some protection logic in PSU, like "if fan is not connected, or stopped, then PSU does not start".

thank you!

• Corsair Employees

Thanks anyway, I'll think about it. Just tell me if there is some protection logic in PSU, like "if fan is not connected, or stopped, then PSU does not start".

There shouldn't be any logic like that, it should start regardless, as far as I know.

Archived