Corsair Community

ASUS A8V Deluxe and AMD X2 4800 Toledo

nexifer

I am about to upgrade to an very fast X2 4800 CPU and will be upgrading from my two DDR 400 512meg chips to hopefully 3 gigs of DDR 400. I have done some research and I'm confused as to how to best accomplish this. I have updated the BIOS to the latest version 1018.002 so that should allow the upgrade to the X2 CPU. What I am not sure of is which RAM modules to get to the 3 gigs of dual channel DDR 400. There are 4 sockets making up bank 1 and bank 2. The documentation I have encountered says to use all the same modules in the four sockets. However, it also seems that if you use 1 gig of dual channel each in sockets 1 and 2, then sockets 3 and 4 will be disabled. That is max of 2 gigs. So it will not be possible to get to 3 gigs. But other sources say go ahead and you will have 4 gigs with a 1 gig module in each socket. I only want 3 gigs cuz thats all XP can use. Which documentation is correct and...

Is it possible to use two 1 gig modules and two 512 gig modules to get 3 gigs dual channel DDR 400?

My current RAM is set at CAS 2-3-3-7. Should I discard those and just get all matched from Corsair?

Are 2 gigs of memory adequate for a dual core X2 processor?

And I am assuming these would go into the blue sockets and leave the black sockets empty? Or would it be better to go with a slightly slower set of chips but get four gigs to populate all the sockets?

I am not really into gaming but will be doing Photoshop and some Video conversions from VHS to DVD. I suppose that will be the most intensive work for my puter. Otherwise generally not as intensive.

I did have someone mention that if all four sockets are populated that they run slower. Is that true? I would prefer to save the cash and just go with the 2 gigs if that will be adequate to run the dual core processor...

Archived