Corsair Community

How long does it take to get memory replaced? (my experience)

keb

Here is my experience in how long it has taken to get my memory replaced under warranty. I am posting this so you potential RMA'ers have an idea of what to expect.

Wed 8/15/2007 4:45 PM - Obtained RMA number & instructions via email after filling out RMA request form on website. (Easy)

Mon 8/20/2007 9:04 AM - Memory shipped to Corsair via Certified, Priority Mail from Colo Spgs, CO. (RMA said to ship both DIMMs back even though only one was bad: TWINX1024-3200C2PT memory)

Wed 8/22/2007 12:04 PM - USPS reports package delivered to Corsair in Fremont, CA. (fast!)

Wed 8/29/2007 7:00 AM - Corsair sends email saying package received and RMA being processsed. (Seems like the last few feet of delivery took a ridiculous amount of time!)

Mon 9/10/2007 - Registered self on Corsair's forum - was unable to complete final step (entering authorization code) successfully after many steps, so sent the following message to Ramguy via email:

While I can log into your forum site, I cannot figure out how to enter my Activation ID so I can post a question. I tried both URLs in the activation message using both Firefox and IE, but neither seems to take me to a page that has an appropriate entry field. I am very frustrated. I’m giving up. And unfortunately, this only adds to my frustration I’ve experienced so far with the warranty process.

Here is my question.

How long does the typical warranty (DIMM) replacement action take?

I thought my case was pretty simple – 1 DIMM in a matched set of 2 DIMMs stopped working after 18 months. The other DIMM worked fine. I had no recent hardware changes in my system. The DIMMs were reseated/tried in various slots. Memtest showed hundreds of errors within a few minutes when only the bad DIMM was installed, none when the good DIMM was installed. I even set my latency timings to the exact settings that Corsair lists on the website for the memory – the memory still failed.

I had to send in both DIMMs since they were a matched set, leaving my home system inoperable. I’m just wondering how long I will be without a functioning computer at home?

Perhaps you should offer some type warranty replacement immediate shipment option secured by a credit card deposit, or at least some type of information showing typical turnaround times by your department. At least folks will know what to expect, and can decide if they want to bother with the process or just go buy some replacement memory on their own. (I’m guessing not too much of it would be the Corsair brand in this case).

As a system administrator, I can’t imagine how verifying the memory has failed would take much time (particularly with my case), unless the warranty dept is lacking in staffing or equipment. I can understand some bureaucracy slowing things down, but I would hope your upper level management would occasionally glance at the forums to determine the success or failure of their processes. I, for one, was shocked by the large percentage of negative posts I saw there. I hope your company turns things around soon - a good reputation is hard to keep, but extremely difficult to restore.

Mon 9/10/2007 5:09 PM - RamGuy responded with the following email:

Dear Valued Customer,

I apologize that it has taken so long to process your RMA. I have forwarded your status request to customer service and asked them to update you. For any further RMA questions, please feel free to contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747, or email RMA@Corsairmemory.com.

Thank You!

Ram Guy

(I appreciated the quick response from RamGuy. Hopefully this will result in some progress being made soon. Also note that a new Activation ID was sent at the same time - which worked. I can now post... Will post more details on the RMA action as they occur....)

I also found the way the warranty works quite frustrating, I mean when they say matched pair, they arnt so special, its just they are the same speed and timings, big deal,

Corsair should just replace one, and also do as the gentleman suggested, just send one straight away with a credit card deposit, if the ram turns out to be faulty because of human error charge his CC, if he doesnt send the old ram stick charge him, it would cut the time by heaps, as you can see the guy has waited a long time almost a month is UNACEPTABLE if this happens to my memory you can bet I wont return as a customer ever again, the gentleman is an enthusiest, wanted the best, gets the best, but a warranty claim, they put it to the bottom of the pile, weather or not there is a shortage of that part, take one out from retail and give him his part, simple, I thought I was buying a part from a company that backed its product, gave prompt efficent service but I was wrong.

Keb I sincerly hope you get your ram back asap

your stock went down in my book today corsair. that was a good qoute Keb, its harder to get reputation back!

• Corsair Employees
I also found the way the warranty works quite frustrating, I mean when they say matched pair, they aren't so special, its just they are the same speed and timings, big deal,

That may not be true and will depend on the specific part number in question and your specific system weather the modules should be matched.

Corsair should just replace one, and also do as the gentleman suggested, just send one straight away with a credit card deposit, if the ram turns out to be faulty because of human error charge his CC, if he doesn't send the old ram stick charge him, it would cut the time by heaps, as you can see the guy has waited a long time almost a month is UNACCEPTABLE if this happens to my memory you can bet I wont return as a customer ever again, the gentleman is an enthusiast, wanted the best, gets the best, but a warranty claim, they put it to the bottom of the pile, weather or not there is a shortage of that part, take one out from retail and give him his part, simple, I thought I was buying a part from a company that backed its product, gave prompt efficent service but I was wrong.

As I stated all of these things can be worked out with our customer service and he should contact them ASAP and I am sure they will do their best to help resolve the issue. 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "0"

Thu 9/13/2007 12:03 PM - email from Joseph Ocbina of Corsair RMA Support sent with the following message.

We apologize for such delay. I already booked it and it's ready to ship out. Let us know if you any further questions and we will be happy to assist you. You have a great day Thank you

Thu 9/13/2007 6:45 PM - email from RamGuy sent with the following message.

RMA number <deleted> has now been shipped by UPS 3 Day Select. Your UPS tracking number is <deleted>.

----

UPS tracking information does show the package sent on 9/13/07 evening from Sunnyvale, CA. It has a estimated delivery date of 9/18/07.

I am relieved to report that it seems I'll have my memory back soon.

I hope Corsair management will wake up and see that their RMA process needs some improvement if they want to be a top-notch company. Seinfeld and I are not the only frustrated customers out here - open your eyes.

I strongly disagree with RamGuy (09-12-2007 03:46 PM) assertion that I should have called Customer Service to find out why my RMA seems to have seen no progress. I followed the RMA instructions to the letter. They have all my contact information. If there is a problem, they should contact me. I don't want to feel that I need to monitor their progress as if I'm a parent trying to get a teenager to clean their room. I'm busy enough doing my job, I don't think I should be doing their's also.

Here is what I think Corsair needs to do. Perhaps others have other ideas...

1. Post the expected turnaround times for various RMA actions on your Forum so customers have a idea of what to expect time-wise.

2. Improve your internal tracking system to flag warranty actions that have surpassed your expected turnaround time, and take the actions necessary to keep the flagged list short.

3. You already send the customer item received, items shipped emails (good practice), however this system should be enhanced to provide weekly or so emails to the customer. If the warranty action has been more than 1 week on the flagged list, it should be a specific (non-form) type of email, providing the reason for the delay and the plan to correct it or other options for the customer.

I don't expect premier companies to run a 100% flawless operation, and I know that it is impossible to satisfy every user, however satisfied customers are much more likely to give you repeat business. Unsatisfied customers usually take their business elsewhere and tell their family, friends, and associates.

The true colors of an organization often present themselves when problems arise. Please work to improve your RMA process. Please try to place yourself in the customer's shoes. Even if you believe you are doing a bang-up job, perception of a problem is every bit as bad as having the problem. Come-on Corsair - You can do better.

Archived