Corsair Community

Corsair memory and Dell Dimension 8400

andbakk

Hi everybody,

I've just bought 2 Corsair 1GB VS1GB533D2 and 1 Corsair 1BG kit VS1GBKIT533D2. These are recommended on the Corsair website.

However, they are not compatible with my Dell Dimension 8400. Took a memtest that gave me this message: Memory error detected! Pair 88096930 does not store values accurately.

Got several of these messages, then I got the blue screen of death...

Anyone know what the issue might be? Could it be Vista?

Please help.

• Corsair Employees
These modules are compatible with your system however they may not be compatible with each other. It is NOT recommended to mix and match any modules as it can cause many problems. My suggestion would be to add only what you currently have in your system to the exact part number. I would recommend that you test the modules in pairs and see if they still have errors.

Here is my RAM history:

1. Bought 2 x Crucial DDR2 PC4200 256MB CL4 Unbuffered,1.8V,32Meg x 64, 240pin

These modules works perfect with the original Dell modules. I use these 4 modules now, and it gives me a total of 1GB RAM.

2. Bought Crucial DDR2 PC4200 2048MB CL4 Kit w/two matched DDR2 PC4200 1024MB CL4,

These modules was supposed to give me 2GB of RAM, but they don't work. Possible DOA, and replaced. Same errors with the replacement modules. (Tested with 3 different memcheck programs). Gives me the bsod on often occations. Replaced for a third time, same errors again. Got my money back.

3. Bought 2 x Corsair Value S. PC4200 DDR2 1024MB 128Meg x 64, CL4, 533MHz, 240-pin and 1 x Corsair Value S. PC4200 DDR2 1024MB Kit w/two matched Value Select 512MB. These 4 modules was supposed to give me a total of 3GB of RAM. But again, these modules are just giving me the bsod. These modules was garanteed to work acording to the Corsair website. Tested with memcheck programs, both in Vista and outside of Vista. Several errors.

There is nothing wrong with the slots, as the old modules are working like a charm.

I've tried all the RAM mudules alone, together, and combined with the old ones. Nothing works, just the old ones...

I'm getting very frustrated, and I'm thinking of buying a new computer if I can't get this resolved. Howcome these RAM modules won't work? I'm not a beginner, and I know the RAM modules has been handled correctly when installing them.

I also can't believe that I've got so many defect RAM modules.

• Corsair Employees
Turn on the system with no memory installed till it beeps and then turn it off and install our modules and then then load setup defaults and exit the BIOS saving changes and then run http://www.memtest.org on the system. If it passes then its not the memory. And if you are using Win Vista you might need to install a patch for more than 3 Gig of memory.

In Memtes86+ I get errors in test 4, moving inversions, random pattern.

Today, I've got 2 KINGSTON 1GB MEMORY 1 MODULE F/ DELL DIMENSION 4700 8400 XP NS (KTD-DM8400/ 1G, these ram chips are made specially to Dell Dimension 8400 computers. These didn't work either, and I got the same errors as with the other modules.

Please, anyone... what could be wrong? Have tried 4 (!) different brands, all of them supposed to be compitable with my Dell 8400.

I'm now suspecting that the motherboard could be defect. It's seems like the computer don't want any module higher that 256mb a piece...

I have the same problem and the same system. Dell 8400 and i wish i did not have it. i bought Corsair 1GB PC4200 DDR2 DIMM Memory Kit (512MBx2 - MPN: VS1GBKIT533D2) from zipzoomfly.com and it came yesterday. i currently have 2x256 original dell memory in system and then i put the corsair pair and the system started screaming..beepppppppppp. i took out the dell's memory and just left the 2x512s and then again..beppppppppp. but the intresting thing is that if i leave one of corsair 512 sticks in the system the system boot up perfectly. i updated my bios and ran vista memory dignostic, but no difference. i thought VS1GBKIT533D2 is high performance:evil:,

any suggestions???

My CPU is 2.8GHz.

Seems like I've got a solution now... Have installed the modules in slot 1&3 instead of 1&2. The ram modules are now running in dual asymmetric mode.

They are running fine so far. Haven't finished the testing yet, but it looks promising.

I guess I won't get the same effect in this mode, as in Dual interleaved, but at least it works.

Still, it's strange that the modules will work in asymmetric mode, and not in interleaved mode...

• 6 months later...
Are you trying to mix these modules? You cannot mix memory with most systems.

Are you running the latest BIOS level? Additionally, I found that using the smaller sized Corsair modules (512MB) in the slots 1/2 (locations 1 & 3) works with larger modules (1GB each) in slots 3/4 (locations 2 & 4) works. But reversing this method and the system won't even BEEP!

Archived