Corsair Community

intel dp35dp ddr2 800

Tornado_buster

• 1 month later...
A few posts appeared back in September re ram suitable for the Intel DP35DPM mobo. Ram Guy recommended the Twin2X2048-6400C5DHX but another member questioned this board's support of DDR 800. I was considering purchasing this board and wondering if anyone has had issues with DDR800? Did anyone install the Twin2X2048-6400C5DHX and is finding it chugging along ok? If the board has issues with DDR800 I'll probably look into another P35 based mobo. Regards to anyone who responds.

With a 1333 FSB CPU I think Intel suggests running the memory at DDR667, but I would check with the MB maker as to supported memory and CPU FSB.

Technically, you can run memory at DDR2-800 speed with an FSB1333 CPU on that DP35DPM motherboard. But Intel's chipsets generally prefer that memory be run synchronous to the processor FSB. And the reason as to why DDR2-800 speed is recommended when using an FSB1066 CPU rather than an FSB1333 CPU because the memory bandwidth difference between 400MHz and a 266MHz FSB (actual clock speeds) is great enough to offset the performance loss when running memory asynchronously. But running memory at DDR2-800 speed on an FSB1333 CPU would result in a slight loss in performance because the difference in actual clock speeds between the memory and CPU FSB is not enough to make up for the performance penalty.

And the P35 chipset is officially limited in memory speed support to DDR2-667 and DDR2-800 speeds, which means that all memory would always run asynchronously with an FSB1066 CPU.

• 3 weeks later...
There's some interesting stuff on this thread,and on other threads in other forums. What I don't quite grasp is why intel would indicate compatibilty for an E6850 CPU and this board, when the consensus appears to be that 800 memory is not truly compatible with the board or more correctly will not perform to its full capability and yet Corsair suggests the Twin2X2048-6400C4DHX [see http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=294059] ; thus, I guess, one should consider another brand of board or a jump to say an Intel X38. Have I got a handle on this or have I missed something. Anyone any more comments or recommendations re mobos please?

There's some interesting stuff on this thread,and on other threads in other forums. What I don't quite grasp is why intel would indicate compatibilty for an E6850 CPU and this board, when the consensus appears to be that 800 memory is not truly compatible with the board or more correctly will not perform to its full capability and yet Corsair suggests the Twin2X2048-6400C4DHX [see http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=294059] ; thus, I guess, one should consider another brand of board or a jump to say an Intel X38. Have I got a handle on this or have I missed something. Anyone any more comments or recommendations re mobos please?

The same thing applies to all Intel chipset motherboards, regardless of the manufacturer of the motherboard. None of the motherboards can take full advantage of the DDR2-800 memory speed when the FSB of the motherboards are being run at the officially supported stock speeds. (I have an Asus P5K, which I knew barely scored higher in memory bandwidth with DDR2-800 memory versus DDR2-667 memory with the FSB set at "FSB1333," or 333MHz.) As a result, the only way to take much, if any, advantage of DDR2-800 memory with an Intel-processor-based motherboard is to overclock the FSB beyond Intel's officially supported spec. (Intel's own DP35DP is DDR2 only, lacks any provision to accomodate the newer DDR3 memory modules, and cannot be overclocked at all beyond what minimal tweaks that the motherboard's BIOS offers.)

On the other hand, Intel's own X38 chipset-based motherboard, the DX38BT, is DDR3 only. You cannot use DDR2 memory modules at all on that motherboard. A few other motherboard manufacturers, however, offer X38-based motherboards with DDR2 memory slots.

• 6 months later...
i have an intel dp35dp mobo and twin2x2048-6400c4dhx G, it's SPD timing is

4-4-4-12 but it works without any problems.

i think you can use both twin2x2048-6400c4dhx and twin2x2048-6400

c5dhx.

Actually, the SPD timing for the 6400C4DHX @ DDR2-800 speed remains 5-5-5-18. You simply needed to manually set the timings to the tested 4-4-4-12.

But while the 6400C4DHX modules may have worked fine @ 4-4-4-12 on the DP35DP at first, I wouldn't be surprised if stability issues cropped up a few months down the road.

• 3 months later...
Actually, the SPD timing for the 6400C4DHX @ DDR2-800 speed remains 5-5-5-18. You simply needed to manually set the timings to the tested 4-4-4-12.

But while the 6400C4DHX modules may have worked fine @ 4-4-4-12 on the DP35DP at first, I wouldn't be surprised if stability issues cropped up a few months down the road.

Bringing this thread back up.......

Why do you say stability issues will crop up a few months down the road? Are you saying running 5-5-5-18 specd RAM at 4-4-4-12 speed will damage it and cause stability issues after running this way for a few months?

Archived