Corsair Community

2x TWIN2X2048-8500C5D and the GA-P35-DQ6

gumbyohson

I recently bought a new Computer. The Computer of my dreams. i put the 2x TWIN2X2048-8500C5D in and start up. EVERYTHING STARTS CRASHING. so i ran memtest, and if i have any one stick in. Passes every test multiple times. 2 or more in different configurations either fails test 4, hangs on test 3 or hangs on test 4. (i havent tested every combo, some do better than others)

i got into the BIOS, did the CTRL+F1 to reveal the Secret M.I.T options, tried setting 5-5-5-15, but i dont know how. i set the speed strapping to auto, and depending on the 2 sticks in there will auto to 1066 or 800.

also, i have the dram voltage on +0.4.

so, what RAM settings do i need? like; exactley. ras to cas, precharge, RAM speed strapping, voltage. i want to know exactley the options i need to set in the M.I.T manager.

Please someone help.:(:

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.2 volts (+.4 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

i have the latest bios, the only change bios options are enable usb keyboard support.

when i have it on +.4 it doesnt work with more than one stick and i have tested them with memtest. they all pass multiple times.

ive done more experimentation and found that if i put the voltage on +.2 and i have the timings on 5-5-5-15 (though i dont know if im supposed to change any other timings) and i strap it to 1066mhz it works with 2 chips. i havent tested it with more yet.

i left it running all day on memtest and it works fine like this. why doesnt it work with +.4 v (im sure its not the slots because ive tested them)

• 1 month later...
  • Corsair Employees
You will need to load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.2 or 2.1 Volts and then set the tested settings manually and make sure command Rate AKA Command Per Clock if its listed is set to 2T with just one set of modules and with 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR800. But if they all pass one up that would suggest it's not the memory.

The on motherboard memory controller (MCH - Northbridge) can not keep up with the extra DRAM at the rated 6400 speed. You will need to drop the speed of the DRAM from 1066Mhz to 800Mhz. If you had purchased 4 X 1024MB of PC6400 (800Mhz) DRAM, then you would have had to drop to PC5300 (667MHz) DRAM, etc. 2 X 2048 will not issue this problem. This is a problem of all 4 banks being populated.

Think of it this way. If you have a small phone book, then when you go into the index to find the page where you will find the phone number you are doing so at a certain speed due to the pages of the Index. Then you have to drive through the pages to get to the number. Now if your index is twice as large and the pages twice as many, then it takes longer to access the data. Now DRAM has a Strobe and the length of the strobe is how long the rows and columns can be left open before they must be refreshed. There is not enough time for the dram to be refreshed and then accessed with 4GB at the full access speed of the DRAM. The chipsets are optimized for 2GB, not 4GB and for 2 DRAM slots, not 4 DRAM slots populated. You can overclock the FSB (and hence the Memory Controller Hub = MCH) to gain some extra bandwidth and thus access the capabilities of the DRAM since the chipset is now clocked up. Usually when you clock up the FSB and concurrently the Memory Controller Hub (MCH) you need to raise the voltages of the CPU/MCH a bit as well. The 333 strap will also help.

Keep in mind that your motherboard might well be overvolting the DRAM. If your system works well with +.2v, then stick with what works.

it works:D:. IT ACTUALLY WORKS. i now have the voltage on "normal" in the bios and the strapping on 667 and it works. all 4 gig is in the motherboard. kinda weird tho... nyway, it ran through memtest twice and my vista performance rating has increased from 5.3 -> 5.5 which is awesome. now the slowest thing in my box is my CPU at a rating of 5.3. i still only have 3.5gig avaliable cause im using 32bit vista, but this is still so excellent. thanks for your help RamGuy and DerekT.:biggrin:

• 4 months later...
it works:D:. IT ACTUALLY WORKS. i now have the voltage on "normal" in the bios and the strapping on 667 and it works. all 4 gig is in the motherboard. kinda weird tho... nyway, it ran through memtest twice and my vista performance rating has increased from 5.3 -> 5.5 which is awesome. now the slowest thing in my box is my CPU at a rating of 5.3. i still only have 3.5gig avaliable cause im using 32bit vista, but this is still so excellent. thanks for your help RamGuy and DerekT.:biggrin:

Well, all was going well until a few weeks ago. One game froze after a few hours. It started in one game, then they all started to Freeze. i checked the bios settings and increased the voltage on the ram(it was on +.1 put it on +.2). anyway. went through the usual suspects. O.s. Drivers. Overheating. nothing helped.

so, i remove 2 sticks. and the system works. (sound familiar (read up)), its like the bios settings are wrong again. anyway.

what i want to have happen is someone to Tell me the EXACT settings, row by row, for my GA-P35-DQ6 rev 1.0 motherboard M.I.T bios. And if i set them to that and it doesnt work. i may have to send them in to be replaced.

As I said, you need to drop the DRAM speed from 8500 to 6400 when you populate all four DRAM slots. Be clear, if you continue to do this, you will end very likely end up with permanent issues with your on motherboard memory controller. As I said, the issue is NOT the DRAM. It is the on motherboard memory controller. Send the DRAM in all you want, it's not the DRAM. You are setting the four sticks as though they were two sticks.

Set to 800Mhz, set the strapping to 667Mhz, set the voltage to 2.1v, set the MCH +.3v.

As I said, you need to drop the DRAM speed from 8500 to 6400 when you populate all four DRAM slots. Be clear, if you continue to do this, you will end very likely end up with permanent issues with your on motherboard memory controller. As I said, the issue is NOT the DRAM. It is the on motherboard memory controller. Send the DRAM in all you want, it's not the DRAM. You are setting the four sticks as though they were two sticks.

Set to 800Mhz, set the strapping to 667Mhz, set the voltage to 2.1v, set the MCH +.3v.

Ok...

i set the strapping to 667Mhz and the ddr2 overvoltage option to +0.3 and the MCH to +0.3. i put in all my RAM. and i am rewarded with a large beeping and no screen.

so i want to understand what exactly you mean so i dont cook my ram or anything else.

what do i set to 800Mhz and 667Mhz?

what am i changing to 2.1? is it the ddr overvoltage option down the bottom?

Ok...

i set the strapping to 667Mhz and the ddr2 overvoltage option to +0.3 and the MCH to +0.3. i put in all my RAM. and i am rewarded with a large beeping and no screen.

so i want to understand what exactly you mean so i dont cook my ram or anything else.

what do i set to 800Mhz and 667Mhz?

what am i changing to 2.1? is it the ddr overvoltage option down the bottom?

Set the DRAM to 800MHz. Strapping to 667Mhz. FSB to 266Mhz (QDR 1066Mhz). Yes, the DDR2 to 2.1V is the overvoltage option. If your 8500 requires 2.2V (On the DRAM modules, set to +.04.

If you have tested all four sticks singly, and they pass, then the issue is with the mainboard.

Archived