Corsair Community

WRong RAM sent as replacement! Not Happy!

Thunderpunk

I must say I am extremely irritated. I purchased 4 1GB sticks of your CM2X1024-6400C4D 800mhz EPP SLI ready RAM back in November of last year. Two of those modules failed after just 2.5 months of use. My timings were relaxed from default. 5-5-5-14. I had also set the frequency to 500mhz and that still resulted in the system crashing. So, I requested an RMA (#1020936).

I just got my replacements yesterday. You guys sent me two 1GB sticks of CM2X1024-6400C4DHX RAM as replacements. This RAM apparently isn't SLI ready. My BIOS fails to detect SLI ready RAM when they are installed alongside my two 1GB sticks of CM2X1024-6400C4D that are SLI ready. I paid for SLI ready RAM and I expected to have my defective ones replaced with the same. Why were they not? Either that or they should be compatible at minimum.

Now, when these two replacement sticks are in my system I get a BSOD in Windows. Then, if I try to get into my BIOS I cannot. I managed to relax the timings and things worked for a while. Then, right in the middle of copying 4.6GB of data the system locked. Some of those files are now scrambled. I tried relaxing the timings and bumping the voltage to 2.1. BSOD. Take your two replacement sticks out and my system is fine.

I would appreciate a resolution to this issue. Either a replacement of all 4 sticks for equal or faster SLI ready RAM or replacement with the same exact thing I paid for. Even better, for my trouble, it would be nice to swap all 4 sticks for 2 2GB sticks of SLI ready RAM of equal or greater performance. I am struggling after Hurricane Katrina and I cannot afford to keep paying shipping because of your companies mistakes. Furthermore, your website refuses to allow me to send a request for RMA. I'm mad as hell! Scrambling my data as a result of pairing up the replacements with my existing RAM is not funny! You guys should pay the return shipping for your screw up or your dishonesty. Whichever it is! Please fix this.

• Corsair Employees

I apologize for the inconvenience, only Dominator parts are SLI-Ready at this time. There is no longer a 6400C4 Dominator part available, as it has been replaced by the 6400C4DHX which is exactly the same as the Dominator part, except for the lack of the EPP and the silver heatspreaders. With four modules it would not be recommended to use the EPP as it is programmed for use with one pair of modules. To configure the system manually make sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard and load setup defaults. You will then want to adjust memory voltage to 2.1v and the timings to 4-4-4-12-2T (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-CMD Rate). If you believe the replacements may be faulty, I would recommend testing them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org at these settings.

If you would like to discuss some possible alternative options, please call our Tech support at 800-205-7657 and we will try to help you solve the problem, our hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Monday thru Friday. Ask for Ram Guy!

Thanks, I appreciate the response. I contacted customer service this morning and they are sending me two 6400C4D replacements. Why they didn't do this in the first place is beyond me. I mentioned that the sticks may not work in SLI using 4GB and the tech assured me that they will. Guess we'll see. I'm thinking these sticks don't like the EVGA board.

Archived