Corsair Community

Is my water cool system working properly?

roadster92

Hi,

I am running 2 cpus (Dual Core Opteron @2.2GHZ). I installed the nautilus without problem. One of my CPU use nautilus 500 and the other is still running my orginal air cooler. I check the temperature in the Bios.

Here is the orignal air cool at idle (after 1 hr idle) on both CPUs and Room Temperature is at 25C:

CPU1 = 46C

CPU2 = 44C

Here is the result with CPU 1 on Nautilus and CPU 2 on original air cool and Room temperature is 24C:

CPU1 = 48C

CPU2 = 42C

I have checked the water block installation and re-apply the thermal paste twice already (very thin layer spread on top of the Opteron CPU1).

I also switch the CPU1 and to air cool and CPU2 to water cool. But no matter which CPU on the water block, it still hovering around 46~48C at Idle and room temp at 25C. No matter which CPU is on Air Cooler it is always at 41C to 44C.

Is my Nautilus 500 Pump loosing pressure or not pumping properly?

By the way the unit, I also move the unit to seat on top of the case, on the side of the case ... but no help in bringing temperature down.

How do I know my pump is not weaken and not provide enough pressure to push the water through?

Thannks

• Corsair Employees
There may be something wrong if your CPU is getting up to 61C degrees. First thing, make sure you took the plastic film off the CPU block, next check the hoses and make sure nothing is kinked or hindering waterflow, and lastly make sure the fan and pump are working in the nautilus. If you hold the hoses you should be able to feel the water flowing through them. Is it possible for you to switch cooling methods on the CPUs? If you swap the fan and the nautilus between the CPUs and remeasure the temperatures, it might give us a little bit more information about what is going on.

There is may be something wrong if your CPU is getting up to 61C degrees. First thing, make sure you took the plastic film off the CPU block, next check the hoses and make sure nothing is kinked or hindering waterflow, and lastly make sure the fan and pump are working in the nautilus. If you hold the hoses you should be able to feel the water flowing through them. Is it possible for you to switch cooling methods on the CPUs? If you swap the fan and the nautilus between the CPUs and remeasure the temperatures, it might give us a little bit more information about what is going on.

1. The plastic film is OFF from the CPU Block

2. Did checked the hose, there are no kink

3. Fan is working on the nautilus

4. Pump is working because I did draining system twice. I do see water flow and fill the hose all the way to the return line.

5. "Feel the hose"?? I tried but sorry I can not tell. That's why I drained the system twice in #4

6. I did the swapping from Water Cool to Air Cool. This meant when both CPUs on Air Cool, they are both at the same temperature +/- 1 degree.

7. No matter which CPU couple with the water block. the temperature is higher than my air cool. This should meant both my CPUs are OK.

Like I described in my initial post. The temperature are listed. Water Block temperature is higher than my Heat Pipe Air Cooler (I used a fixed fan at 6000RPM). This is why I am suspecting the pump.

Right now I used the 2 feet length hose er each direction. My plan is to cut the hose short and make it as close to the CPU as possible to reduce the resistance of the waterflow as much as possible. But this pointless, 2 feet per each direction should be within the spec of the pump. (13ft head).

I hope this explain more clearly.

• Corsair Employees
We will set this MB up in the lab later this week and see what results we get with it to be sure. However what are you using to get the CPU temp's? What program? And we can try and replace the unit for you if you like. However what you have posted would suggest some other issue. Can you test the cooling system on another system?

We will set this MB up in the lab later this week and see what results we get with it to be sure. However what are you using to get the CPU temp's? What program? And we can try and replace the unit for you if you like. However what you have posted would suggest some other issue. Can you test the cooling system on another system?

Thanks for the response !!

-I don't have the option to test on other MB. This is the only system I have now

-I used Speed Fan to read the Temperature of the CPU Case and CoreTemp for the Core Temperature.

-I also confirmed Speed fan Temperature reading vs. Bios Temeprature Reading. +/- 1 degree between Speedfan and Bios.

Well, I cut the hose to the length of 1 foot per direction. And the result still the same. It would be great if you test the unit with the same MB that I have. The Bios version that I am using is 1.42.

I will wait for the test result from your lab, before making any decision.

What do you mean by "However what you have posted would suggest some other issue" ? Any suggestion for me to look into would help.

Thanks for the help

What do you mean by "However what you have posted would suggest some other issue" ? Any suggestion for me to look into would help.

Hey, put your hand above the fan on the Nautilus. With the temps you are getting from your cpu probes, I'd expect noticably warm air coming out of the top of the Nautilus. I managed to keep a dual core 65W cpu, northbridge and 8800GTS card down to ~ 30C with a Nautilus, and you could feel the warm air getting blown through the radiator. If you're only cooling 1 cpu you should not have those issues you describe.

If you don't have the reservoir full up, you can see the water returning when you're looking into the filling port. You may have to tilt the nautilus backwards if the water level is too high. Mine used to produce a strong jet. B.t.w. the length of hose should not be a problem. I added some hose in to the loop (because of the 3 waterblocks in series) and it didn't impede the flow.

Best of luck, -P.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did check the pump by opening the fill hole and look into the reservoir. Pump action is there. What frustrated me is why the idle is so high after ~1hr, and after running full load with CPU arithmetic test in Sisoft sandra XII for 1/2 hr, my CPU temp gone up to 60C (in Speedfan and Bios). It looks like I need to buy a temp sensor and measure it directly from the CPU case.

I have mentioned that I suspected the pump, but at the same I also suspect the stupid MB sensor reported it wrong.

Hopefully, Corsair will run the test with my MB so that I don't have to shell out the money to buy the external temp sensor.

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
I would use the MSI utility and see if it is showing a different temp. But you may not be able to run those two applications at the same time. Or I would try Mother Board Monitor, however like with any third party utility you may have to calibrate it.

Hi,

I did use core center pro that came with the MSI MB. It showed the same temperature as in Bios and Speed Fan.

I am a little confuse, if I use Coretemp v0.95 to measure the cores temperature of both CPU. My cores temperature never go pass 50C on all 4 cores, this is kind of strange ... why my cpu case is at 60C and my core only at 50C under full load? I am really leaning more into suspecting the MSI MB Bios is reporting the wrong temperature.

Can you perform the testing on the same MB and see if you are seeing the same thing?

Any help shed light into the problem would be very helpful.

• Corsair Employees

I have just tested a similar dual CPU dual core AMD system, here were the results:

Idle Temps

CPU1 (Air) = 43C CPU2 (Air) = 47C

CPU1 (Water) = 31C CPU2 (Air) = 47C

CPU1 (Air) = 45C CPU2 (Water) = 30C

It could be that your motherboard is not displaying the correct temps, motherboard and software temperature monitors are not 100% reliable. In any case, if you would like to get the unit replaced, Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or “Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum! If you have the same problem with a new unit, then there may be some other issue.

I have just tested a similar dual CPU dual core AMD system, here were the results:

Idle Temps

CPU1 (Air) = 43C CPU2 (Air) = 47C

CPU1 (Water) = 31C CPU2 (Air) = 47C

CPU1 (Air) = 45C CPU2 (Water) = 30C

It could be that your motherboard is not displaying the correct temps, motherboard and software temperature monitors are not 100% reliable. In any case, if you would like to get the unit replaced, Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or “Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum! If you have the same problem with a new unit, then there may be some other issue.

Hi,

I checked the temperature with 2 thermistors. I mount the thermistors at the edge of the heat sink. The temperature reported by the thermistor follow the speed fan and bios temperature reading. So that ruled out the system reported the wrong temperature reading.

I believed that the pump is weak and not performed as it should.

My CPU rating from AMD is:

C/W = .53

CPU watts = 55W

My case temperature = 33C

So my CPU temperature at full load should be = 62C. Max temperature allow by AMD on the CPU is 69C.

My Air Cool heat sink is rated C/W=.15 so that's why at full load my temperature is around 54C and never gone past that.

The question is what is the C/W per Flow rate for the nautilus 500?

How much heat do I expect to remove when my CPU is rated 55W with nautilus 500?

In any case, I will return the unit back to Corsair to troubleshoot. I need to know the following information:

1. Can I just keep the water block and send just the external unit?

2. Corsair is located in Fremont. Can I just drop it off locally? and pick up locally after corsair fix it?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Archived