Corsair Community

New meaning to "Firewire"

Leviathon

Here's what happened. I got the 620Watt Corsair along with a new eVGA 8800 GTS (640MB) card and decided that yesterday was a great day to put'em in my case. The computer isn't very old; I just finished building it about 2 months ago. Anyway I stuck the new power supply in after carefully noting where everthing was hooked up to the old PS and things were going great. I noticed, however, that the cable to hook up the floppy drive wasn't nearly long enough. Plus I had to put the other small connection on my X-Fi's control panel thingie. So I used the cable I had the 2 optical drives connected to (which had a 3rd connection not used) and hooked the connection from the large end of the floppy connection to it so it could reach the 2 drives. Then I decided after checking all connections that it was time to fire it up. I hooked it all up and poof.....smoke was rolling out the back of my computer via every fan I have on the case. Upon examination, I noticed that it wasn't the PS itself, but the wire going to the floppy drive! Not the other wire going to the X-Fi or anything else, JUST THE FLOPPY DRIVE WIRE.

To make a long story short I had to ship it back with RMA and am awaiting a new PS. Or at least a new cable for the floppy which is now slagg (no biggie, I think I paid like $8.00 for it). Any ideas what I did wrong and how to prevent this in the future?

• Corsair Employees
Some floppy connectors on floppy drives aren't keyed. You need to read the pin out on the floppy drive itself to make sure the connector fom the supply isn't being hooked up backwards, otherwise, poof.

Yep, make sure all the connectors are hooked together correctly (not upside down or backwards) otherwise you might start smoking.

• 4 weeks later...
Well I finally got a replacement and installed it. I hooked everything up the same way I did before and no problems. The connectors are keyed so they should only go in one way anyhow, at least they appear to be. I still can't explain what happened but it cost me a new floppy drive and new RAM. Well, one GB of RAM went bad after the experience but one still worked. Can't imagine why..lol Thanks for the replies and sorry it took so long to get back on what happened.

Archived