Corsair Community

GIGABYTE 8xnkp timings issue Recommended don't work

marfpilf

Windows crashes 3 seconds into login when ANYTHING is messed with on the board regarding ram timings. Here is the setup. System specs: THE HARDWARE: Koolance case with watercooling setup [url]www.koolance.com[/url] Processor sits at about 25 degrees but can get down to 18 on a brisk day. Or can get as high as 32 ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU Gigabyte 8knxp with F9 BIOS (most recent) AGP set to auto Intel P4 2.4C standard clock nothing touched 2 pair of Corsair 256meg each matched XMS PC3200 Platinum Edition RAM w/ heat spreader set in dual channel mode. MSI Geforce FX 5900 128MB standard clock 53.03 WHQL most recent drivers from [url]www.nvidia.com[/url] Maxtor 80 gig 5400 RPM NTFS Maxtor 160 gig 7200 rpm 8mb cache in 2 partitions (10 gig for OS and the rest for whatever) NTFS TDK 32x10x40 CDRW Pioneer A05 4x DVD Writer Using Intel Onboard NIC and Realtek onboard sound. Everything SATA is disabled and the RAID controller is set to be an ATA controller. WinXP SP1a - all updates obtained Everything in my system is WHQL Here is what is happening: Whenever I change my BIOS to Manual instead of SPC and change anything windows will crash 3 seconds into login. I tried setting the RAM to the timings in RAM GUYs FAQ, crashed. I tried leaving everything at default but changing the CAS to 2 (since it is CAS 2 ram) crashed, I tried upping the voltage to 2.7v while having it set to CAS 2, crashed. The only time it doesn't crash is when everything is default. I would like to overclock this system but i don't know where to start if i can't touch the memory. Anyone have any ideas? thanks Steven

I had exactly the same problems. My setup is as follows: Gigabyte 8KNXP P4 2.8C 2GB TwinMos PC3200 DDR Radeon 9600 XT DVD-RW, Dual SATA Drives etc etc I originally built my system with 2x512 XMSPC3200LLPT but could not get the system to run at advertised tiimings. The system wouldn't even run at SPD in dual channel mode. Both DIMMS tested absolutly fine with memtest when run individually at single channel. The system ran 100% like this. I managed to exchange the memory for 2X512 OCZ PC3200 Platinum. I had exactly the same issues with this to. The system wasn't stable in dual channel mode no matter what the settings were set to. Again, both DIMMS tested fine in single channel mode and ran 100%. After reading so many articles regarding the 8KNXP and memory problems, i decided to buy some bog standard TwinMos. My system now runs absolutly fine at CAS 2.5-3-3-6.5 +0.1V in dual channel mode. I know these aren't the best settings, but there is hardly any drop in performance. Only about 200 3DMarks I also got double the memory for the same money, which is a bonus for the work i do and the games i play. For the benifit of RAMGUY, i realise this is a corsair forum and i am not trying to put corsair memory down in any way. I actually think quite the opposite. Had i bought a motherboard other than 8KNXP i would still use corsair memory as my first choice. I know a lot of other people who use your memory and it runs absolutly fine with their setups. I have to add, none of them have the 8KNXP. The point i am trying to make is that this board, or more likely chipset (875P), just won't run with high preformance, low latency, dual channel ram.

Archived