Corsair Community

My HX520W is driving me crazy!

Brunnis

Okay, this one is longwinded, but I hope someone is willing to read it. Especially any Corsair representatives that might see this.

I bought this PSU back in march, to power the system in my profile. Everything worked great until the beginning of august. Suddenly one morning the computer refused to start. I looked inside the case and noticed that the motherboard standby LED was flashing. I immediately suspected the PSU, so I tried letting it sit unconnected for a few hours. Sure enough, when I reconnected it to the wall socket, the motherboard LED lit up with a steady green light and the computer started up fine.

However, the next time I shut down the system, the problem resurfaced. I remembered that I had an Antec NeoHE 430W laying around, so I tried to switch to this PSU instead. Everything worked great. I again switched to the HX520 and once again the motherboard LED just rapidly flashed on and off and the rig wouldn't start.

At this point I was sure that it was the PSU, so I sent it off to Komplett.se where it was bought. They put the PSU in one of their machines and ran a few tests. Sadly, they couldn't verify the problem and before I had anything to say about it, the PSU was back in my hands again.

During the time the PSU was sent back, I used the AntecHE 430W in my machine instead. I used it for three weeks and the machine didn't experience one problem during this time. When I once again installed the HX520, it took five hours for the problem to resurface. Here's what happened:

I reinstalled the PSU and noticed that the motherboard LED lit up with a steady green light. The machine fired up fine. I used it for an hour and then tried shutting it down. The motherboard LED still didn't flash and the machine fired up again. I then used Orthos and RTHDRIBL to stress both the CPU and GPU (and consequently the PSU). After about four hours, I noticed that the motherboard LED was flashing slightly, like going from full intensity to slightly below normal. I shut down the machine and sure enough, the motherboard LED started flashing on and off. The machine wouldn't start up again.

I once again started switching between the Antec and Corsair PSUs. Each time I used the Antec, everything worked fine. Each time I connected the Corsair, the machine wouldn't start.

I then pulled out my digital multimeter and measured on the ATX connector of both the Antec and Corsair PSUs. Before doing this I disconnected both PSUs fully from any computer parts. In other words, they were laying on the floor, with just the power cord to the wall connected. The result? I found two pins on the ATX connector that had voltage on them when the PSUs were off. The Antec PSU had completely stable readings at about 2.49V and 4.99V. The Corsair PSU, however, had the voltage on the corresponding pins fluctuating. The 5V pin had a voltage fluctuating between 4.73V and 4.83V.

This fluctuation is more than likely what caused the motherboard LED to flash. The voltage swing is probably a lot higher than the multimeter shows, but it isn't fast enough to catch this.

Now for the interesting part: You know how I said initially that the PSU seems to fix itself when being disconnected from the wall for a while? Sure enough, after letting the PSU rest unconnected for a while, the voltage fluctuations were gone. The previously fluctuating 5V line now read a completely stable 5.00V! Connecting the PSU to the motherboard now produced a stably shining green LED and the system started.

Now, for the final test: I restressed the PSU with Orthos and RTHDRIBL. This time it took approximately 40 minutes until the motherboard LED started flashing slightly. I shut down the machine, and just as before the LED started going on and off and the machine would not come on again.

I now put a completely different computer next to my main system and connected the Corsair PSUs ATX connector to its motherboard. Guess what happened? The power LED on this motherboard started flashing too and the machine refused to start up! Reconnecting the machine's own 350W Fortron Source PSU made everything go back to normal and it started up fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, why do I write all this? Well, Komplett.se still refuses to replace this PSU unless they can verify the problem themselves. I have even filmed when I test this PSU, but it's apparently not good enough for them. The thing is that this is a problem that may or may not surface depending on the PSU load. For all I know, I can keep sending the PSU to Komplett and they may never find the problem. I have put so many hours into this and I need to put an end to it now.

So, I ask of Corsair to help me find a solution to this. Maybe something I can pass on to Komplett?

Thanks for taking your time to read this novel. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Below is a link to download one of the films I recorded. I speak in swedish, so you probably won't understand what I say, though. :-) The film begins with a view of the screen when running Orthos and RTHDRIBL. I then turn off the machine and show how the LED starts blinking and the machine refuses to start up again. Finally I test the PSU in another machine and show that the exact same thing happens there.

http://rapidshare.com/files/53423567/MVI_0053.mpg.html

• 2 weeks later...

Archived