Corsair Community

Express Case 236096

Marmaduke

I received this e-mail Yesterday....

"Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard and then load optimized defaults and set the Memory Voltage to 2.75 volts and then set the timings to 2-3-3-6 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! Please allow memtest to run 2-3 passes on each module. If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Make sure when running memtest you have “Legacy USB Support” disabled in the BIOS."

As described before, computer will not POST with this XMS memory anymore.

Computer is dead. If the defective memory module is removed, computer will then POST in single channel mode. I have tried this memory in another computer with same results. One module prevents computer from POSTing. I have also replaced the XMS memory with Value Select and it works.

How can I run memtest if computer will not POST? I cannot enter Bios, I cannot change boot order, I cannot run memtest. Computer is totally dead unless I remove defective module.

Please have the courtesy to read what I have posted rather than sending me some "canned" reply.

• Corsair Employees
With the working module I would suggest configuring the BIOS (most importantly the memory voltage), and then see if the faulty module is still causing the same issues. If you still have the same problems then let's get them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them! Please make sure you let them know you are from the forum!

I have already filled out the tech support express form. Thats where this express number came from. This memory has been in my sons computer for the past 20 months on "auto" setting with no problem. Now the one module refuses to post.

I don't understand why I should NOW have to change timings and voltages.

Would you please explain further please?

• Corsair Employees
The modules that you have are tested to run at 2.75 volts at 2-3-3-6 latency timings. These are the settings we guarantee the modules to operate at. It is possible that the modules would run at default settings, however the system may or may not be stable unless you are using the modules at the tested settings. Also, I have approved your RMA, you should receive confirmation shortly.

Archived