Corsair Community

Dominator PC2-8500 Ram Died

B33M3RBOY

It happened after I rebooted my computer because of the latest nvidia drivers. The computer shut down successfully, but would not post upon the restart. No matter how many times I restarted the computer I just could not post. At first I thought it was the video card because of the drivers I just installed. After I tested my video card, psu, and motherboard, I decided to swap the ram for my 1GB kit of Corsair XMS2-PC8500. The computer posted. Apparently my Dominator sticks have died. The computer will not post with them at all.

I have the CM2x1024-8500C5D package. I guess I'm a little disappointed because this is the second time I've been required to RMA this ram.

Ok I did what you said and I believe I'm wrong about the ram. Originally I took it to someone else because lately I haven't had the time to check into what really went wrong.

This happened when I installed the latest nvidia drivers (163.44) for the game Bioshock. After the install was finished, I rebooted the computer and couldn't get it to post. I took the computer to a local guy who said he would fix it same day. When I got the computer back from him, he said it was the ram that had died and that I need to RMA them back to you. Apparently I shouldn't have taken the computer to him. I'm going to call him later today and find out exactly what he did and what I paid him for. I don't think he fixed anything because now I have a new problem where as soon as the windows login screen loads, I get a single long beep. I know what the post beeps mean, but not at the windows login. Do you know what this could be?

When I plugged the dominator sticks in to do to test dual channel, the ram booted up fine. I did 20 minutes of memtest+86 and it passed on 4-4-4-12-4 @ 963mhz on 2.2v. For some reason, Asus AIBooster claims I am giving the memory 0.01v, but in bios it says 2.25v. I am currently waiting to see if it passes 8 hours of Prime Orthos (I usually go 24h, but I just want to get this over with) just to double check that the guy was wrong. I will post again when it passes or fails.

Sorry if I wasted your time Ram Guy. I Should have tested my computer myself.

Well Prime Orthos failed in 7 minutes. Rounding was .5 and it was expecting less than .4, claiming hardware error. Previously on the settings I tested on, I should have passed 24h of Prime Orthos w/ memtest running beside it. I opened CPU-Z when Orthos wasn't running and it looked like I had Speedstep turned on. As soon as I opened Prime Orthos, it read the expected CPU speed and as soon as I started it up, CPU-Z read the correct speed. Went into my bios to see if Speedstep was on and found that it is off. Don't know if this means anything to you.

I increased the motherboard MCH voltage to 1.8v (was on auto) and increased the vdimm to 2.3v(according to bios anyway). I will leave this overnight and see if it passes/fails in the morning.

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard and then load optimized defaults and set the Memory Voltage to 2.2 volts and then set the timings to 5-5-5-15 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! Please allow memtest to run 2-3 passes on each module. If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Make sure when running memtest you have “Legacy USB Support” disabled in the BIOS.

Checked up on the computer just now and it is 10H Orthos Stable w/ memtest and still going. Not having any problems with the ram. When I talked to the manager it sounded like there was a mix-up and I was told what was wrong with another computer they were working on.

I'm using bios 0805 on the Asus P5WDG2-WS Pro (latest bios). On this board I've always needed to put in an extra 0.05v on the ram. In the bios settings, 2.15v turns up 2.2v in windows. I'm going to turn the ram down to 2.2v and run a couple passes in memtest with the 5-5-5-15 timings. I cannot test 1066mhz on this board. It has never been stable above 1030mhz for very long. What speed should I set the ram to run during the test? I'll run some tests at 800mhz for now.

Single channel, dual channel, single stick tests all passed memtest 5+ times. Systems stable.

I am thinking about dropping my timings back down to 4-4-4-10@963mhz (385fsb). On stock voltage I've been able to run that setting 24h stable with Orthos. Hopefully soon an X38 DDR2 motherboard with PCI-X slots will be released and I will finally be able to run the ram at its rated specs.

Thanks for all your help. It's really great to know I can fall back on you guys and get great customer support.

Archived