Corsair Community

Asus P4C800 and 4xCMX512-3200C2 ?

vhoeven

I run a standard P4C800 setup (P4 3.0) without overclocking. I currently changed my slow Kingston's to 2 x CMX512-3200C2. It runs great. I happen to have 2 spare CMX512-3200C2's to be used in a secondary server but I can also use the old Kingston's as this is a fileserver without many memory constraint. The ASUS memory document for the P4C800 states that you can only use 2 units of CMX512-3200C2 (either blue or black bank) and not 4 ! When inserting all 4, all seems to work, so my question is WHY the limit on 2 slots and not all 4 as for most memory ? The units fit, without making contact with each other, so there must be a non-physical reason. Could anyone explain and/or help me with this issue ? Thanks

• Corsair Employees
I think you would really need to ask ASUS for the reason they stated this, but in general I do not suggest more than two modules if you are over clocking. In addition, running the modules at Cass 2 would technically be over clocking the memory timings for Default DDR 400 Spec. However, there have been a few that have run with 4 modules with out problems. Also I would suggest that you gander at [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/tech/memory_basics/153707/index.html]Memory Basics Presentation[/URL]! This explains a bit about chipset and loading with more modules.

Thanks. Slick presentation which gave some extra insight. For now I run a standard setup (CAS 2.5 I think) without overclocking and all seems good with 4 sticks installed. I can always fallback to a twin1024 (at some considerable cost) in the event that I get errors. If I get an answer from ASUS (I doubt), I will post the results. Thanks again. Rob

Archived