Corsair Community

Corsair compatibity issue

8Agent27

My current system is running (2x)Corsair ValueSelect VS512MB400 PC-3200/512MB Latency: 2.5-3-3-8. I want to purchase the blazing-fast Corsair CMX1024-3200C2PT/PC-3200/1GB Latency: 2-3-3-6 (LINK)

I'm not sure what latency is, and if it matters when using chips together, but I'm sure that there are people here who do.

My question is: can I use these two sets of RAM chips together? Will the ValueSelect chips cause problems with the new ones? Or can I leave them in, and use all 4 together? Both Chipsets are PC-3200/400, which seems to be compatible to me, but I'm not an expert on this. If someone here is smart on this topic, please post to this thread. Thanks!

Wired,

Thanks for you advice. I'd always read that you should keep the same brand and the same frequency together, and you'd be fine, but I guess these are different enough not to work. I'll still get the newer XMS memory cards, just looks like I'll have to ditch the old two. Shame...3 gigs of memory would have been nice if the cards would behave together. Thanks though.

Archived