Corsair Community

what voltage is correct for default ram setting

basso3456

I just installed a biostar 6100-m9. My ram voltage choices are 2.66, 2.72 and higher. My ram spec for my valueselect ddr3200 400 512*2 is 2.5V. Currently I am at 2.72V and everything seems fine. This seems to be the default setting. This is my first MB install. MY old board died. I do not want to do any damage to the system and my bios manual is of no help. I have been trying to read up on overclocking but my son is leaving for college tomorrow and this computer is going with him. I need a stable and reliable system that will have a long life. I pass on memtest86+ and also prime95 torture test with a 6 hour run.

Thanks

It can be a bit hard to know. I would not go any higher personally. Keep in mind that some boards overvolt or undervolt and the cheaper boards usually do one or the other. I would be careful. Are you overclocking atm? That board you have (6100-M9 Biostar) has onboard video and they are known to be problematic with longevity when overclocking. The board does allow for overclocking, but you may find longer term issues if you use those features. If you decide to use these features, I would install a standalone PCI-e video card.

I do not want to overclock. The 6100-M9 was set to this voltage at first boot. I would like to try 2.66V. If I run memtest86+ and prime 95 torture test and they run OK, then can I be assured that my voltage is set correctly? I am not overclocking anything else on the MB. I have a athlon 64 3200 installed. Bus speed is set to 200MHz with a 10x which equals 2000MHz which is stock speed. I have a 7600gt card installed and frame buffer size is disabled.

Thanks for your input.

Archived