Corsair Community

HX 520W Clicking??

jotch

2 weeks ago my old PSU decided to blow it's fuse with a nice little spark and then nothing.

So I went out and bought a new PSU, the HX 520W and a new case the Antec P182. Fitted everything into the new case without any problems and then went to turn it on...nothing on screen, no beeps, nothing apart from a few quiet clicking sounds from the new PSU and my wifi card light twinkling.

So I took out all things that aren't need and tried again, nothing, apart from some clicking noises and the wifi card light twinkling...not even any of the fans are springing to life...I can feel a breeze from the PSU tho so I'm guessing that it's turning.

The mobo is a MSI K8T Neo2 - FIR, the rest of the PC specs can be found above in Jotch's PC Spec. I also tried the diagnostic Dbracket that came with the mobo and this is showing 4red leds suggesting that the CPU has a fault, one would turn green as the mobo powers up and checks the RAM.

Would a faulty/fried CPU give me these results...I was expecting the fans on the case to at least move or do they only power up if the CPU springs into action??

Could anyone just confirm to me that it's not a faulty PSU and how would I check if it was?

If it's the CPU that's the culprit then I'll be ordering a new mobo, CPU, RAM and GFX card - as buying a cheap CPU isn't worth it to find out that the mobo is fried also...

• Corsair Employee
I would recommend disconnecting all the components from the PSU except for one case fan. You can then start the PSU by jumping the green pin with any of the black pins on the 24-pin connector (using a paper clip is probably the easiest way). If the fan on the PSU and the case fan start up, then there is a good chance the PSU is fine and there is some other problem. If you still have doubts you could test the PSU in a different system.

I would recommend disconnecting all the components from the PSU except for one case fan. You can then start the PSU by jumping the green pin with any of the black pins on the 24-pin connector (using a paper clip is probably the easiest way). If the fan on the PSU and the case fan start up, then there is a good chance the PSU is fine and there is some other problem. If you still have doubts you could test the PSU in a different system.

Okay, well I didn't try your suggestion, I went and bought new parts thinking that this would definitely work and all my problems would go away, as it's now a completely new machine, except the HDD's.

New specs are now in my profile.

So I set up the mobo, gfx, one strip of RAM and tested the PSU. Switched it on and the fans all powered up. :biggrin: But nothing was displayed on screen :confused: it should display something right? If there is no harddrive the bios should displayed right?

So I continued to try and get the PC working and plugged in the D-Bracket device again and it showed 4 red :mad: LEDs again, just as before, although the component fans are now working. One thing I have noticed is that if I add some more devices such as CD/DVD drive the fans on the CPU/GFX card slow down, noticeably...why would this be?? It's as if the PSU isn't pushing through enough power???

Tonight I'm going to try everything out of the case to ensure there are no shorts occurring due to the new case.

With all the fans working but the machine not getting any further what could be the problem? I've checked the CPU a couple of times to make sure it's seated properly as well as the GFX card. Could the PSU be the problem? Could it be that it's not pushing the right amount/stable power to the system?? I don't have a multimeter or another PSU...I guess I'm just going to have to take the PSU to be checked out at my local PC repair shop...this is driving me crazy...I don't wanna continue to spend money on a system that doesn't work! :[pouts:

Got home last night to check it one more time. It started up, but after 2 seconds it switched off. It was just about to post something to the screen and the power just switched off!! :roll:

So I tried again and checked the diagnostic 4 LEDs...it did the same thing again but when it got to checking the GFX/VGA parts as the mobo boots it switched off again. Something made me think it might be the GFX not seated properly...so double checked that, now I'm not getting any booting, just fans spinning again!!

Also if I attach case fans to the power supply, the more I add the harder it finds it to power them, it won't even spin them on the Low speed setting?!? 3 fans attached means the CPU fan doesn't spin...what does that mean?? It's like the PSU hasn't got the juice to power fans, let alone my GFX card ro entire system!

It just seems odd that I've now tried 2 systems and neither of them are powering up. I think I'll return the power supply and get a replacement. :(:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=62862

I think you meant to leave this link. It does sound simliar...it's as if the PSU just can't be bothered when the system wants more power.

I've not even got to the bios yet and after spending £430 I'm not best pleased, hopefully I can get it sorted soon tho. I'm going to take my PSU to a shop to have it tested on a working machine, if it still fails then, at least I know what's the problem. If it works then I can start to try and narrow the problem down with the other parts.

Has anyone else had the problem where the system fans spin but the system never gets any further? What was the problem? How did you fix this? Have you had a faulty PSU and it's given the same results?

Are you using the same CPU or motherboard from the original system? or is it a completely new build?

The only part that's old is the 2 harddrives but the system never gets that far to boot from them.

The new specs of the machine are in my profile...my old system was truly dead as the PSU clicked like there was no load on it, could this have damaged the PSU to now not work on the new system??

• Corsair Employee
Let's get it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace it! Please make sure you let them know you are from the forum!

Let's get it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace it! Please make sure you let them know you are from the forum!

Already beaten you to it...arranged to send it back to where I bought it, dabs.com, they'll be collecting it on Friday. Tested it on a known working machine and it still wasn't powering up the system.

Now I want to buy a replacement and this power supply was ideal, the chances of getting another duff one should be slim right?

Going to hijack this thread regarding my Corsair HX620W...

Just like the user posting, I'm using a Antec P182 chassis, and lately I've had the case door removed for lower temps. Which has made me aware of a few new sounds, namely an intense clicking sound.

First of all I thought it came from the CPU socket area, but when I put my ear next to the PSU I could hear that it came from the back of the PSU.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not interested in getting it replaced... it would be hell to wait for a new one.

I'm only curious in what kind of consequences this might have, can it break - taking half of my computer with it? or something between those lines? what component can produce these kinds of sounds? a digital pwm?

Also, I might say that it works perfectly EXCEPT for the clicking. Voltages are good and so on.

when sitting almost next to the chassis, having the right side of the chassis facing me with door equipped but no case door on the opposite side - I can only hear the clicks when my ear is pointed at the ending part of the chassis. Kinda hard to explain.

• Corsair Employee
We have no problem replacing the PSU for you, but if you only hear it from about a foot or two away from the unit, there may not be a clean power source. If you are willing to do it, you might try testing the system in a different location or house, to see if you still have the clicking sound. There are fail safes built into the motherboard to prevent the PSU from damaging the system, should the PSU short out for some reason, so it would be very unlikely that the PSU could hurt the system.

Archived