Corsair Community

620HX Voltage Ranges

Nicksterr

When I first got my 620HX, my 5v and 3.3v rails were perfect, but my 12v was a little low - 11.8 idle and 11.7 load.

Now, quite a few months later - my 12v is even lower and I'm starting to get worried. Most people I know with this psu have a solid 12.0-12.2 voltage on idle and load.

Right now, my voltages are:

IDLE LOAD

3.34 3.34

5.19 5.16

11.59 11.46

Running:

gigabyte 965p-ds3

e6400 @ 2.8 1.4v

2gb ddr2-800 @ 2.1v

7900gs

74gb raptor, 250gb 7200rpm HDs

4 fans, fan controller

Do I need to replace my psu?

• Corsair Employees
The only accurate way to measure the voltage on the rails would be to use a multimeter. The acceptable spec for PSU's is within 5% of the total voltage of the rail, so that would be from 11.4 to 12.6v on the 12v rail. The motherboard BIOS as well as any voltage reading software are not going to be 100% accurate.

• Corsair Employees
That would not be necessary. The PSU is still within spec, even if these readings are accurate. If you would like to get the PSU replaced, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace it! However there does not seem to be anything wrong with it.

Well, no offense or anything - but 11.46 is damn close to 11.40. I fear that eventually the PSU 12v rail will dip below the safe range and start damaging my other components. And after being told by a specific Corsair Rep that it was safe, I would not want to be you when I express my dissatisfaction to your company.

I also do not see any option for cross-ship replacements. I can't afford to go without my computer for more than a few hours at most - I would need a cross-shipped replacement.

• Corsair Employees
Well, no offense or anything - but 11.46 is damn close to 11.40. I fear that eventually the PSU 12v rail will dip below the safe range and start damaging my other components. And after being told by a specific Corsair Rep that it was safe, I would not want to be you when I express my dissatisfaction to your company.

I also do not see any option for cross-ship replacements. I can't afford to go without my computer for more than a few hours at most - I would need a cross-shipped replacement.

How are you getting the voltage readings? Also you may contact our customer service to discuss possible replacement options. You can reach them at at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rma@corsairmemory.com.

If your addiction is that bad then I would suggest picking up a spare psu, or better yet build a second pc.

Not an addiction, my computer is essential to many things I do daily.

How are you getting the voltage readings? Also you may contact our customer service to discuss possible replacement options. You can reach them at at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rma@corsairmemory.com.

Here are a few pictures I took a few minutes ago with the system under stress:

http://i3.tinypic.com/54iktx4.jpghttp://i14.tinypic.com/4l5t1tk.jpghttp://i16.tinypic.com/5z70180.jpg

• Corsair Employees
I have no problem replacing the unit as I stated before but as long as its stable that is not a big issue, now it the Voltage was high I would be concerned but that would suggest the MB is getting plenty of power if its under a load you are getting that reading.

Not an addiction, my computer is essential to many things I do daily.

Some of my business customers say the some thing once in a while. :D: If you cannot afford to be down, and do not have spare parts on hand, it only makes sense to have a second pc at your disposal, right?

Here are a few pictures I took a few minutes ago with the system under stress:

1. Measure from the main 24-pin ATX connector and put the black probe into any of the black ground connectors
  2. Try a different DMM

I have no problem replacing the unit as I stated before but as long as its stable that is not a big issue, now it the Voltage was high I would be concerned but that would suggest the MB is getting plenty of power if its under a load you are getting that reading.

If my psu was truly reading 11.36 under any kind of load I would also get it replaced. ;): Corsair/Seasonic generally has excellent voltage regulation within 2% of spec.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey corsair guys,

While we are on this topic, i may be having similar problems. I just got the hx620w (9/19/07) cause my system was beginning to become underpowered. From the reviews I've read the voltages on the 3.3, 5.0 and 12.0 were so close it was scary, which was the major reason for buying the psu. The idle volts i'm getting right now are 3.28, 4.84 and 11.78. Shouldn't these be higher?

Hey corsair guys,

While we are on this topic, i may be having similar problems. I just got the hx620w (9/19/07) cause my system was beginning to become underpowered. From the reviews I've read the voltages on the 3.3, 5.0 and 12.0 were so close it was scary, which was the major reason for buying the psu. The idle volts i'm getting right now are 3.28, 4.84 and 11.78. Shouldn't these be higher?

All of those voltages are within ATX spec. What are you using to measure the voltages? What are the load readings?

• Corsair Employees

No not always that would be with in spec and normal, You want the rated Voltage to be a bit low like that the system will run cooler. In addition, the MB will control the Voltage to a certain extent, try the PSU in another system and I think you might see different readings.

Archived