Zalman 9700 cooler

Dominator TWIN2X2048-8500C5D

WD Raptor 150GB 10,000 RPM

WD Caviar SE16 250GB x 2

WD Caviar SE16 500GB

Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer

Sony NEC Optaric SATA DVD burner

Vista Home Premium 64bit

I was wondering if my 1066 RAM will be limited to 800 speed when using all four modules. (I've seen mention of this type of problem, but I'm not quite sure of the specifics, etc...) Any other unforeseen (by me, anyway) issues/compatibility with this build - parts are comin in soon....

Any opinions/comments would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

• 1 month later...

No, as long as you are running the DRAM at 2.2 (for v1.x) and 2.1 (for v2.x) then you are fine. However, that board is known to overvolt the DRAM so I would check with a digital multi-meter to see that when you set the Vdimm, the DRAM is receiving the proper voltage.

Please read this:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124383

Some can make a 1:1 relationship with four dram banks populated. It looks as though you might be one of them "IF" you pass memtest.

Download Memtest from http://www.memtest.org and burn the image to an optical drive. Boot to that drive and let Memtest run a few passes.

Results?

No, as long as you are running the DRAM at 2.2 (for v1.x) and 2.1 (for v2.x) then you are fine. However, that board is known to overvolt the DRAM so I would check with a digital multi-meter to see that when you set the Vdimm, the DRAM is receiving the proper voltage.

Please read this:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124383

Some can make a 1:1 relationship with four dram banks populated. It looks as though you might be one of them "IF" you pass memtest.

Download Memtest from http://www.memtest.org and burn the image to an optical drive. Boot to that drive and let Memtest run a few passes.

Results?

• 3 weeks later...

update: 2nd & 3rd pass completed w/ no errors :)

Running Memtest86+ v1.70 right now.

4095M Cached|532M RsvdMem|e820-Std MemMap|Cache on|ECC off

Been 1+ hour | completed 1 full pass and 1/4 | no errors thus far.

Gonna leave it running through the afternoon.

Here's my set-up:

Vista Home Premium x64

eVGA 680i-A1 | reapplied TIM (AS ceramique) to N & S bridge and mosfets

C2Duo E6750

4 1G stick of 8500C5D v1.2

PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad

eVGA 8800 GTX (stock clocks)

2 x WD 150G Raptor

2 x WD 250G SE Caviar

1 x WD 500G SE Caviar

Sony/NEC Optaric SATA DVD+/- RW

Here are the settings:

CPU = OC'd from 2.66 to 3.0

SLI memory = disabled

mem clock = unlinked

mem ratio = auto

FSB QDR = 1500 MHz

MEM DDR = 1066

actual = 1050

voltages:

CPU Core = 1.4

CPU FSB = 1.4

Memory = 2.0

nForce SPP = 1.4

nForce MCP = 1.5

SPP <-> MCP = 1.2

my messed up timings:

5-7-7-24 2T

leomac,

when you put all four in did you get the bios to boot ? Do you keep 2 modules in the board then adjust your voltage and other specs as listed and save cmos, then stick all four in and start to see if it will work or did you have all four in then changed the voltage and specs? I cannot get it to work with 4 gb and I have the same mobo and the same modules of ram. But, I always get a c1 error. I currently am running three modules. I have tried swapping the one thats out with one and i get it to go but cannot boot anything and it resets. then runs again and finally asks me if i want to boot normally because it has recovered from a serious error. I tried and it will not boot. I was wondering if you guys might think i have a bad module. I have the updates p31 for chipset and the windows 64 bit hotfix. But i cannot get it to work with all four. How do i know if the module is bad or not?

This is my first build, and i am so close to being complete this is the only thing holding me back.

Any suggestions?

thank you, joe

I used only two modules to install Vista x64. Then I shut down, added the other two, rebooted (it posted fine), I set the SLI memory to disable, set the memory clock mode to unlinked, and set the voltages (see the settings a couple posts up). I didn't try setting the memory speed to 1066 at this point yet. F10'ed it and she booted right up. Then I rebooted into the BIOS (system monitor tab) to check that the temps were OK before upping the memory.

Well done leomac,

It's a bit of a dice throw with 680i. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and you can have two identical model board with one working this way and the other completely refusing to accept such settings.

Be happy :)

DerekT - thanks again for you input and advice.

Well, so good so far....set timings to 5-5-5-15, ran memtest with no errors after 3+ passes.

btw - does the "23" listed in your last post above refer to the tRC setting? Mine is set to auto and valued at 29.

....and while I'm at it, and since you're being so kind as to tolerate my incessant questions....

I've been running stable for weeks with my E6750 (2.667) at 3.0 GHz with no issues whatsoever. Just for the h3LL of it, I keyed it up to 3.2 yesterday and was stable through a 3DMark06 run and several hours of gaming, still with no heat or other issues. Am I running any risk of shortening my CPUs lifespan if I leave it at 3.2? Are there considerations besides heat that could contribute to its early demise?

DerekT - thanks again for you input and advice, Well, so good so far....set timings to 5-5-5-15, ran memtest with no errors after 3+ passes. btw - does the "23" listed in your last post above refer to the tRC setting? Mine is set to auto and valued at 29.

Yes, the 23 is tRC and tRC is the sum of tRAS and tRP at a minimum. You should try 23.

I've been running stable for weeks with my E6750 (2.667) at 3.0 GHz with no issues whatsoever. Just for the h3LL of it, I keyed it up to 3.2 yesterday and was stable through a 3DMark06 run and several hours of gaming, still with no heat or other issues. Am I running any risk of shortening my CPUs lifespan if I leave it at 3.2? Are there considerations besides heat that could contribute to its early demise?

It is my opinion that you will not have issues with Core 2 G(0) at a small overclock of 3.2Ghz. I have ran them up to 3.6Ghz with additional cooling and no issues. These chips will be able and robustly running long after we want them and have moved on to newer and faster chips.

What are your load temps and what is your CPU Core Voltage? These are the only real factors to longterm CPU longevity. No need for colors and sizes btw, they just make it harder to read. :)

I've got the CPU Core voltage set to 1.4.

Y'know, I've just been exiting my game and immediately getting into the BIOS to check temps thru the system monitor, so I'm sure my temps haven't been true |load temps," but they've been no higher than 33C.

I use Everest Ultimate 06 on my old machine, but it gives me an error warning, and won't show system temps with rig, prob Vista x64 conflict - maybe something unique to my specific component config. You know of a good app that gives real-time temp monitoring?

UPDATE>>>>>>>>>>>>

I went ahead and dl'd the newest version of Everest (4.00.976) and it ran fine on the new rig = idle CPU temp is 28C. I ran 3DMark06 - GPU tests the CPU ran at 34 to 36, on the CPU tests it peaked out at 39C (think I saw it flicker to 40C once).

Gotta love that Zalman cooler. I wish everest wasn't $35.00!

I wish everest wasn't $35.00!

Well done. Your system is stable and I also purchased Everest. It's a small price for a piece of software that gives me such a fine breakdown of my system. Fiery (owner and programmer of Lavalys) is also a great resource when issues arise.

Archived