Corsair Community

Dominator 6400C4 Timings

dmann304

This is tricky but i have the Dominator 6400C4 800 ram, 4.4.4.12

I have to run this ram at 667 cuz of a motherboard limit of the Ram Bus speeds.

If i use the 667 bus, i heard i can lower the timings a bit to 3.4.3.8 or something but what is the timings i can get with these at 667FSB?

Whats weird is my board is a P5N32 Deluxe X16 form ASUS which i thought was running stable at 800 on the ram but form experts this board only is supported at 667 and memtest was running for an hour at 800.

The strange thing is after awhile in windows it would lock up at doesn't do that at 667 which is supported.

Memtest can fool you so im sceptacle about this app.

Timings might show different results maybe i will try it.

I thought it was 3.4.3.8 but i will try the 3.3.3.?.

With a P4 D it really is a moot point as running the CPU:DRAM so far out of even ratio will make little difference in the real world applications. Yes, canned bandwidth benchmarks will show a difference but since the bus is nowhere near saturated it will be an empty showing.

Think of a canned bandwidth benchmark (theoretical data stream) vs real life appliction (real data stream) as a large doorway (theoretical) and two mid sized people (real data stream) entering the doorway. Does it really matter if the doorway can accommodate a larger person (width) when no larger person will ever go through the door (saturation of bus)?

The timing latency is more important with your CPU in this event.

Well i run the timings at 3.4.3.9 which the corsair guy told me.

I ran memtest for a hour and passed fine.

He said the only way i can run the mem at 800 was to overclock the cpu aswell so the ratio can be not 1:1.

I never really Oc'ed so im giving it a go since i have danger den water blocks on CPU and GPU's and a 3 fan corsair cooler on the ram im good i supose.

Just to lazy to do a reinstall. I have a core2 in my HTPC and its fine.

The 3.4.3.9 timings work great.

With the 940 D and this ram with the P5N32 how high can i overclcock that chip with watercooling?

It depends somewhat on the stepping of the CPU. A SL95W,Stepping = C1 CPU should be able to hit the 4.0Ghz mark or close I would think with that cooling. (16 X 250Mhz). You would do well to update the BIOS to the latest version prior to any overclock. After you flash, save default settings, restart and enter the BIOS to reset your settings. My view is predicated on two dimm banks being filled, not all four as I'm not sure if you can do this with all four banks populated. I would think you have some work to find stability on a decent overclock with four banks populated.

How do you find that out?

I have a Pentium D940 3.2Ghrz. with this ram right now at 667 3.4.3.9. 2.1V

temps max 118f 105idle. so heat wouldn't effect it.

Edit: oh wait i found it. Family F model 6 stepping 2 revision B1.

That might be bad i think.

How do you find that out?

I have a Pentium D940 3.2Ghrz. with this ram right now at 667 3.4.3.9. 2.1V

temps max 118f 105idle. so heat wouldn't effect it.

Edit: oh wait i found it. Family F model 6 stepping 2 revision B1.

That might be bad i think.

A B1 revision means that it will run hotter and they do not reach as high. I would think that 3.6 will not be a hard overclock, 3.8 possibly and 4.0 is a luck of the draw. You might still make 4.0 (or higher). It can't hurt to try. Drop the DRAM down to 533 and raise the FSB. Set your CPU Vcore a bit higher. Not much as those Preslers don't really need a lot of voltage and you can stop a stable overclock on those chips with overvolts. I would say ~1.29 - 1.35 MAX volts.

I can't read what you are saying up there but if you are at 3.9Ghz, then that's not a bad clock already.

Archived