Corsair Community

memory issues and woes...

Karkas

Hello all,

The short description of my problem is this:

I have 4 sticks of TWIN2X2048-6400C4D with my motherboard BFG 680i SLI. I have recently added the Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit OS to my system and I am encountering crashes which appear to be memory related from the description of the BSOD (memory management/ hardware failure).

I noticed that on Corsair's Memory Compatibility system that both the TWIN2X2048-6400C4 and TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX are listed for my motherboard. but not the 6400C4D memory I have :(

I have run Vista's memory Diagnostic Tool and have gotten the message of errors reported.

I have tried to download and run MemTest, but it is not compatibile with a 64-bit OS to create a bootable floppy.

I did use a friend's PC using Windows XP Pro to make a MemTest bootable floppy, but when my PC booted it only displayed gibberish and not the MemTest program :(

Ok... to stop my rambling here, I want to know if my issue really comes down to my memory just not being truly compatible with my motherboard?

If so, may I actually make a RMA to attmept to get the equivalent TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX series that does show compatiblity?

-ashe-

I haven't attempted to change any of the memory speeds or voltage in the BIOS if that is what you are asking :)

What other changes aside from general changes such as turning off my on-board sound and disabling my printer port, etc are you wanting to know about?

-ashe-

Go into your BIOS and set your ram to 2.0v Populating 4 slots and running at 800Mhz 4-4-4-12 might also be problematic. If the raise of Vdimm to 2.0v does not do the trick, then also please set your ram to 667Mhz and 4-4-4-12. Test with memtest from http://www.memtest.org

The ram is higher end stuff and needs more voltage than the standard default Jdec will give. That is why you need to raise the Vdimm. Also, four banks filled seldom will work with default DRAM voltages.

Thanks for the help, Derek.

With your advice of changing the RAM voltage to 2.0V this is what my machine looks like (no overclocking):

BFG 680i SLI with latest P30 BIOS

Intel C2D Extreme Quad QX6850 3Ghz

4GB Corsair XMS2 Dominator DDR2 800Mhz (2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4D)

The memory timing of the RAM is 5-5-5-18-2T (Default)

The memory voltage now is at 2.0V on your advice.

I don't have SLI-Ready Memory ENABLED on my BIOS, so I have no idea what that might affect.

I still don't see where I may obtain a copy of memtest that will work in Vista 64-bit OS :(

Any other advice?

On a side note... When you evaluate your PC to grant it a score under Vista, everything is rated 5.9 except for my memory which is at 5.8 :)

-ashe-

You're very welcome ashe,

You run memtest from a boot disk so it does not run in the OS environment. It downloads as an ISO so you burn the ISO image to a CD and the boot to the cd and allow it to run. I run two passes to prove DRAM stability. Some will run more passes to prove stability under long load temperatures but I only do that if the case ambient thermals under load are suspect. None of my machines ever are suspect so this is only done when testing other people's systems.

Download Memtest:

http://www.memtest.org/download/1.70/memtest86+-1.70.iso.zip

That is a very good Vista Score since 6.0 is the highest you can go. :) I don't think SLi enabled is a good idea for initial stability testing. First find your stability, then tweak settings from there. Then you always have a stable system to go back to and tweak again.

ie:

Find 5-5-5-18 @ 2.0v tested stable with memtest. Then set to 5-4-4-12 and test with memtest. If stable, then set to 4-4-4-12 Test with memtest. If not then try 5-4-4-13 and 4-4-4-13, etc.

Derek,

The memory tested fine with Memtest with the updated voltage at 2.0V and the defaulted motherboard timings of 5-5-5-18.

I am testing them now with the timings of your suggestion of 4-4-4-12 (which updated my Vista score to everything being 5.9 maximum).

My question is the default clock of 2T is what I should keep my memory at with the new timings of 4-4-4-12?

-ashe-

Archived