Corsair Community

QUAD2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB compatibility with p35c-DS3R

vincenz0

Hi!

So I installed QUAD2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB DDR2 4X1GB PC2-8500 DDR2-1066 CL 5-5-5-15 on a Gigabyte p35c-DS3R and I cannot make them work all at the same time.

I tried both pairs of stick on each memory slot and everything works fine with only 2x1 gig.

My hope is that I just don't have the good timing/voltage on it while using four sticks! The problem is that I cannot find anywhere the "official" timing for that setup!

Thanks !

I just updated my bios but i cannot find/modify my RAM timing.

Only voltage / overall speed. Both are set as needed : 2.2v and 1066mhz.

Could the PSW be the problem?

Anyway I don't see why i can't change my timing tho :(

The actual command is Ctrl-F1 as I read it in my MB user's manual.

I am not too sure where to put 5-5-5-15-2t setting since I get a lot more options than the numbers above.

Cas Latency time 5,

DRAM ras# to cas# delay 7,

DRAM ras# precharge 7,

precharge delay(tras) 24

act to act delay ( TRRD) 4,

rankwrite to read delay 4,

write to precharge delay 8,

refresh to act delay 56,

read to precharge delay 4,

TRD 5

Please note that these are the "auto" values since im not sure if I just need to modify the first five or it is something else.

Plus I also read something I didnt know about 32bit system not handling 4gig of ram. Is windows XP 64 bit version ok? or do I need to go under vista.

Thanks!

So I just tried to install my four sticks on my mobo since I installed xp professionnal x64 version.

Unfortunately , it isnt working properly. I installed windows with only 2 gig. Then I installed the remaining sticks and it turned out to be very unstable. I could boot after a couple of attempts but it just keep rebooting.

Anyway I can't tell what the problem is since both pair runs perfectly under memtest but i get errors as I put both pair together.

Any idea?

Gigabyte may have a different name for it. The NB aka North Bridge aka MCH aka Memory Controller Hub. This is the portion of the chipset that controls the memory and allows it to interact with the CPU. Since you went from 2 modules to 4, you have doubled the load. So, you may need to increase the voltage a bit.

Also, look and see if there is a correpsonding voltage called a Termination Voltage for the NB. It may be called NB VTT or something similiar. If you have instability after you raise ONLY the NBv, try to see if there is a NB VTT and give it a corresponding raise.

Ok so I putted (G)MCH overVoltage up to +0.3V and it still doesnt work.

I am now wondering if my timing are actually good because I am def not sure If I changed the right one.

Here is what i did from what is written on this thread and my actual bios options.

Forum ----> My bios option

SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T ---> Cas Latency time

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5T ---> DRAM RAS# to cas# delay

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T ----> DRAM RAS# precharge

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15T ---> Precharge delay(TRAS)

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5 ---> This is the one im not sure, which one should i use ? (please refer to my post above for the list of my bios options)

1T/2T: 2T ---> same with this one

Thanks !!

I looked for that termination voltage and it doesnt seem to be there. I looked in every menus and all i can change is DDR voltage, PCI-E voltage, FSB voltage, (G)MCH voltage, CPU voltage.

For the RAM timings I know u did post it but my problem is since you do not name them like its written on my bios options, I am not sure if I change the right ones.

SDRAM Write Recovery time and 1T/2T:2T are the one Im not sure.

If the SDRAM Write Recovery time and 1T/2T:2T are set to AUTO you should be fine. The voltage you need to change now is the FSB Voltage. Try setting that and the (G) MCHv to +.2v. If that does not help, try +.3v. You may also want to contact Gigabyte support since it appears that the memory is not at fault. They may have some additional info.

If the SDRAM Write Recovery time and 1T/2T:2T are set to AUTO you should be fine

I can't find Write Recovery Time or 1T/2T:2T anywhere in my settings. They must have a diff name but I can't tell. I guess that leaving them on auto solve that problem

Im gonna try those new voltage in few sec.

I can't find Write Recovery Time or 1T/2T:2T anywhere in my settings. They must have a diff name but I can't tell. I guess that leaving them on auto solve that problem

Im gonna try those new voltage in few sec.

For some strange reason, Gigabyte hides some of their more advanced bios options. Take a look here:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/ga-p35-ds3r_6.html

Ok so i tried those voltage and it didnt work.

Im concerned about my SPD multiplier setting, its on auto. I have a High speed DRAM DLL SETTINGS as well (option 1 or 2).

Could it be something else? It seems like you are running out of ideas. I am starting to think that it might be a mobo problem as you said but I still wanna try anything that might solve the problem.

I can tell that I tried diff setting in term of SPD, high speed dram dll setting, etc. and I could get something more "stable" because i would reach test #3 on memtest without any errors where I get errors right off the start for any other settings.

I tried to put SPD multiplier on something other than auto, but then I had to put my voltage on auto because otherwise I would get : "VOLTAGE NOT OPTIMIZED" flashing in red in my bios.

Allright So I just tried SPD multiplier : 4.0~ , ~ meaning 1066 strapping. I dont even know what the hell it means.

5-5-5-15 timing, everything else on auto. AUTO voltage setting.

I am now at 6% in memtest without error, which is my best result up to now. Im writing this down while it is testing just to ensure my setting are okay (im actually concerned about my SPD multiplier).

Hopefully it will go through the whole test with great sucess!

*EDIT* Im starting to get few errors........................what setting could be wrong? it seems to me that its getting better, maybe it only a matter of one thing that is set wrong.

Set RAM speed to 800mhz turns out to be the solution.

Now, since my MB is supposed to support DDR2 at 1066mhz, should I consider RMA it ? I sent a msg to gigabyte, still waiting for an answer.

Otherwise, I paid for high quality rams that are useless in my case.

Is this kind of ram good @ 800mhz speed with lower timing? Or would it still be useless to do with Dominator series...?

By the way, as I said earlier, I really appreciate your awesome support. It is the first time I need to go that deep in bios options to get a stable system. I learned a lot!!! :D

• Corsair Employees
You can try the tested settings from the link in my signature, but some MB's may not be able to run 4 modules at DDR1066 because of loading on the memroy controller no matter what you do. However you would need to be running a 1066 FSB CPU with this MB to run the memory at 1066.

Archived