Corsair Community

Blocks to use

JoeRichmondVA

As a newbie to the water cooling scene, I thought I would try the Nautilus500 based on the reviews and what I've been reading in the forum. It seems pretty easy to hook up to the CPU.

One thing I am still confused about after is the use of the this system with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, and on my Asus P4C800-E motherboard bridge and memory. Are blocks for sale for these? I certainly want to minimize the use of any fans besides the one in the power supply.

Thanks for your assistance.

Edit -

I realized from the sticky I could use any cooler with 3/4" barbs, so I found a 9800Pro block with 3/4" barbs from FrozenCPU for only $30 including shipping. Newegg has the Swiftech MCW30 Chipset Cooling Waterblock for $30 that seems to be compatible also (for my northbridge), and a great price on the Nautilus500 itself.

Any preferred order for hooking the tubing to all these? CPU, then Northbridge, then GPU?

Also, my southbridge chip currently has no heat sink at all, so I decided to not watercool that. Do others do both north and south?

• Corsair Employees
I would recommend cooling the CPU first then the North Bridge and lastly the GPU. Preferably you would want to have the CPU in its own water cooling loop, however if you plan to cool all the devices with a single loop, that is the order I would suggest.

I realized from the sticky I could use any cooler with 3/4" barbs, so I found a 9800Pro block with 3/4" barbs from FrozenCPU for only $30 including shipping. Newegg has the Swiftech MCW30 Chipset Cooling Waterblock for $30 that seems to be compatible also (for my northbridge), and a great price on the Nautilus500 itself.

Any preferred order for hooking the tubing to all these? CPU, then Northbridge, then GPU?

Also, my southbridge chip currently has no heat sink at all, so I decided to not watercool that. Do others do both north and south?

Note Nautilus 500 uses 3/8” hose and barbs = 3/8 I.D. with 1/2 O.D. . if using 3/4 barbs hose will be 7/8 O.D.

You would have to change all barb's -n- hoses on the nautilus 500 unit, while stock cpu WB is 3/8 barb

Note Nautilus 500 uses 3/8” hose and barbs = 3/8 I.D. with 1/2 O.D. . if using 3/4 barbs hose will be 7/8 O.D.

You would have to change all barb's -n- hoses on the nautilus 500 unit, while stock cpu WB is 3/8 barb

Kapt, that was a typo on my part above, my post should have said 3/8" for everything, thanks for catching that.

Anyone have any tips of cutting the hose properly when I put the other blocks in line?

I would recommend cooling the CPU first then the North Bridge and lastly the GPU. Preferably you would want to have the CPU in its own water cooling loop, however if you plan to cool all the devices with a single loop, that is the order I would suggest.

I'll use that priority for the configuration then.

The Nautilus one-pager did indicate that at 500W heat dissipation it should easily be able to cool a CPU, NB, and 2 SLI video cards with plenty of room to spare. With only one video card to cool, I am thinking I should be ok, and I should hopefully be able to bring my CPU overclock to the next level.

What are people's thoughts on cooling the South Bridge chip also?

RAM, on a true high performance system, are people typically using two N500's, one for the CPU and the other for the cards/MB?

Thanks to all for the help and feedback.

You should be fine with that configuration, however with more components in the loop, it will raise the overall temps a little bit.

Understood. I'll tradeoff the slightly higher temps in an effort to reduce my fan noise.

I am concerned with ensuring my connections are tight on the additional blocks, not sure if they come with clamps or not. Do they typically come with clamps?

Yes, I will continue to run a fan on the side of the PC to remove MB heated and drive heated air, and have 3 others that can plug in as needed, two in the back, 1 on the top, although I am hoping to not need them at all.

I also am putting in a CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX ATX12V V2.2 450W Power Supply, which I am hoping will be a little quieter than my Antech 400W that died.

Archived