Corsair Community

P5NSLI- When manually set to SPD timings memtest says pass but bluescreens in windows

Rich99

I have a P5NSLI & I bought some a pair of matched 1024Mb XMS corsair sticks (CM2X1024-5400C4). I put them in, everything was stable. Then I noticed that the RAM wasn't running at SPD timings, despite the BIOS being set to SPD. SPD timings were 5-5-5-15-19, they were running at 5-7-7-31-19. I manually set the memory to 5-5-5-15-19. After this I started getting bluescreens in windows XP, and when restarted windows claimed they had ocuured due to RAM problems. I ran mamtest86 and it passed fine. I set the BIOS back to SPD (and it reverted to 5-7-7-31-19), and the machine is once again stable. Always dual channel, 2T timings, 667MHz.

Why will the RAM not run at the actual SPD timings (this is XMS mem, and is actually rated at 4-4-4-12, so it should cope with 5-5-5-15)? Is the RAM faulty, or is it a board/RAM incompatability?

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard and then load optimized defaults and set the Memory Voltage to 1.9 volts and then set the timings to 4-4-4-12 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS). If you are still having problems, run http://www.memtest.org. If you get errors, we will be happy to replace them! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Make sure when running memtest you have “Legacy USB Support” disabled in the BIOS.

• Corsair Employees
Where are you getting the timing information from? If when you test the modules individually, one module fails and one passes, we will want to get them replaced for you. However if both fail or both pass, there may be another issue than the memory.

Well, the plot thickens. I'm using prime95 torture-test to test the system. With both sticks in it gives errors within 5 minutes. I therefore tested each stick individually. When installed singly, the prime95 torture test runs fine (I ran it for 30 mins). I then took the RAM & put it in my other machine - with both sticks installed there, the prime95 torture test again ran fine (again I ran it for 30 mins).

So it seems to be something partiuclar to the p5nsli motherboard - when both sticks are installed I get memory errors, but presumably the sticks themselves are fine since they are ok when installed singly or in another machine. Any suggestions what could be going on?

Sounds like you're in need of a BIOS update. The Asus page lists "enhance compatibility with certain memory modules" in the liner notes to BIOS version 1104. I'd update to the latest version, 1401, using one stick of RAM at the timings that are working presently. Hopefully after updating, you should be able to go back into the BIOS and set the correct values. The link to the Asus BIOS download (and FLASH utility) page for the board you've listed:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=P5NSLI&SLanguage=en-us

Well, since your already on 1401, the RAM passes Memtest, and the RAM works in other machines, the next thing I'd suspect would be a bit of corruption in the in the chipset drivers or video drivers. I'd lean towards wonky chipset drivers first, based on the types of testing utilities that are crashing.

This is really beginning to pee me off now! Just as I think I've got it sorted, I do another test which throws it all off. I've now just tested both RAM modules individually with prime95 & they are now both giving errors in prime95 individually.

I'm going to swap the ram back into my other machine & retest there, I'll also try running prime95 under linux to rule out chipset drivers - however prime95 certainly errors under both vista & xp, but then the drivers may be the same....

I'm not sure of the make of powersupply, it was all bought as a single machine. I'll see if I can finsd the original specs to see what it's rated at....

OK, tested in linux & still got errors, so it doesn't look like chipset drivers. PSU is 550W - well within what I need for a single dual core, NVidia 7600 & single HDD. Will test the ram sticks again in my other machine now.....

Well, finally got round to testing in my other machine (Asus P5B-VM) & the RAM all passes prime95 fine in that machine. Been speaking to both asus & the vendor I got the machine from, and both agree it's a motherboard problem. Asus said it sounds like some incompatability problem & they'd pass the info on to their R&D dept, the vendor said it sound like a faulty motherboard. Either way, it's off to the vendor to sort out.

Archived