Corsair Community

Memory Compatibility

bigbuck08

Hello,

I have a question concerning the compatibilty of Corsair Dominator memory.

I currently am running 2GB of this:

TWIN2X2048-6400C3DF

What I would like to know is if I can purchase 2GB of this memory and run them together for a total of 4GB.

TWIN2X2048-6400C4D

When i built my PC some of this memory wasnt avaiable as it is now :(:.

I ran the compatibility program and my motherboard supports this memory. The only difference between the two is the cas latency, timing, and , 3V.

Your help will be very much appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
I would not suggest mixing memory, if you want to got to four gig of memory I would find another use for these modules and just get one set of Twin2x4096-6400C5DHX or you would need to match what you have now and with 4 modules you may be limited to DDR667.

According to my motherboard I can run DDR2 800 PC2 6400. Unfortunately I have no other use for this memory besides my current PC. Ill hold out until the price drops on my current memory. I dont want to buy something different and have this sitting around.

I have another question. According to the latest BIOS for my motherboard, Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus BIOS 0803, they added memory compatibility. Do you happen to know if this means I can run a higher PC memory?

Also, I am a little confused on cas latency. I thought that the lower the cas latency the better, but in the new Dominator memory at higher PC speeds it runs better on a high cas latency. Can you shed some light on that?

• Corsair Employees
As the memory frequency increases the cas latency will also increase to all the memory to be addressed. This chipset is rated at DDR800 for memory sped however, it has proven to over clock and be able to run 1066 memory when over clocked. And I am sorry to say Micron D9 IC's are EOL and these modules will only become harder to get and the price will go up not down. And as I said in practice when you add more than two modules DDR667 would be suggest if you use a 1066 FSB CPU.

According the the Corsair Memory Configuration i can run even PC 10000 but way too expensive for me. I was looking at this memory QUAD2X4096-8500C5DF

I would like to know what you think of this memory. Ill add my system specs to help.

Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

BFG 8800GTS OC 2 640MB

Western Digital 320GB (Primary)

250GB (Slave)

• Corsair Employees

We have tested that MB with the Quad Kits and these would be the settings to use.

If you have our 4-XM2S-6400C4D modules please try these.

SLi ready: Disabled

Memory Voltage: 2.1v

NForce SPP Voltage: 1.5v

CPU FSB Voltage 1.4

TCL: 4

TRCD: 4

TRP: 4

TRAS: 12

Command Per Clock: 2

TRC: 24

If you have our XM2S-8500C5D modules please try these.

SLi ready: Disabled

Memory Voltage: 2.2v

NForce SPP Voltage: 1.5v

CPU FSB Voltage 1.4

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 15

Command Per Clock: 2

TRC: 24

Would the higher cas latency, even with the higher speed, affect gaming? What I dont really understand with memory is the effects of cas latency. My current memory has a 3-4-3-9 timing. The new memory I am looking at has a timing of 5-5-5-15. What would be the difference, if noticeable?

PS: Thank you for all your replies. It is very helpful.

I have a question about my current memory. In my BIOS all the memory settings are on auto. I have 2GB as stated of this, TWIN2X2048-6400C3DF. Should i manually set it to the settings given? Would it have a positive effect if i did?

What I would really like, if you have tested it like the ones you gave me already, is info simalar to them so I can manually set it.

Archived