Corsair Community

System freeze

orgru

Hello,

I see several issues on these forums about systems freezing and it being a RAM issue, and I have tried all of those suggestions, to no avail.

I am running an ASUS P5N-E SLI m/b with 4GB total of RAM (2x2048-6400C5).

My system will randomly freeze, whether I'm idle on the desktop, or running whatever application.

This problem only occurs when both sticks of RAM are installed. I am running Vista Home Premium 64 bit, so the OS isn't the issue.

The system runs perfectly normal when only one of the 2GB sticks are installed, which means my total RAM is only 2GB.

So I do not know if it is a timing issue in the RAM or what. I have the updated BIOS and what not as well.

I am also getting random BSOD with IRQL Not less or equal or whatever when running one or both sticks.

Any help or solutions would be much appreciated.

• Corsair Employees

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and test the system with http://www.memtest.org and please disable legacy USB when running this program.

In addition what is your complete system configuration and what is the make and model of your PSU. In addition, have you checked the CPU support list to make sure the BIOS and MB you have support that CPU?

I only have 2 sticks of RAM, or 2 modules, they are 2 GB a piece, so 4 GB total, not 4 modules of 1 GB.

• 750 Watt Thermaltake Toughpower W0117RU Power Supply (Quad SLI Ready)
  • Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core Processor QX6850 (4x 3.0GHz/8MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)
  • Asus P5N-E SLI nForce® 650i SLI Chipset w/6-channel CODEC, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB
  • 4096MB [2048MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module High Performance II (HP2) w/Heat Spreader (Corsair)
  • EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra 768MB w/DVI + TV Out Video
  • 2x 320 GB HARD DRIVE [serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache]
  • Vista Home Premiuim 64 bit

The m/b and BIOS support Quad Core and Dual channel RAM as well as Vista 64 bit.

Could the problem be that the FSB on the CPU is 1333 and the RAM is set at 800? I saw you suggested setting it to 667 if I had 4 modules, but could that be the solution to only have 2 modules?

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Well, I clocked it down to 667, ran Memtest twice, no errors, and thus far (about 10 minutes) I haven't crashed with the RAM running at 667. So we will see if maybe the m/b just didn't like the RAM running at 800 MHz.

Thanks for the help guys.

Archived