Corsair Community

8GB Flash Voyager cannot format

MCalamari

I've had my 8GB flash voyager for almost a year now, but recently, it wasn't able to put new files on it. It was mostly empty but claimed that it did not have enough space. I tried to format the drive through windows and received the message "Windows was unable to complete the format." "The disc in drive J cannot be formatted." Also attempted the formating method through command prompt suggested throughout with forum without success.

The model/serial number is "G08G" "FM26A0408", other side reads "0643214-0". Please advise.

• Corsair Employees

Please try to format the drive from a command prompt with this syntax:

Format (X:) /FS:FAT32 /U (X=the drive letter assigned to the Flash Voyager)

If you still have problems we can get it or them replaced, please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

• 1 year later...

I had the same issue after some unsuccessful tries to make the stick bootable for a Unix image. The only program which recognized the original size properly was the 'HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool'. J just had to format it as FAT32 and I had my 8 GB back!

You may download it from here: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,64963-order,4-page,1-c,peripherals/download.html#

Archived