Corsair Community

Errors with MemTest86 v.170

I have been running MemTest86 v1.70 for about a week in different configurations to try and work out why my system randomly crashes.

If only 1 stick of RAM is in the machine it seems to work OK (6 hours of memtest throws no errors anyway).

Whenever I put both sticks in (in DDR2 config) I get lots of errors in MemTest.

How can I determine if I have a RAM fault or mobo fault?

Was advised to check the CAS timings in BIOS but I cant find any settings for these. Can alter Memory Multiplier, DDR2 overvoltage etc but cant find CAS timings.

Am using default BIOS options, not trying to overclock, have updated BIOS to F14 today but still get same problems.

Thanks.

Either stick of Ram seems to work fine if there is only 1 stick in at a time. Doesn't matter which slot it's in. However, loads of errors if both sticks are in at the same time.

Does this mean faulty ram? If I send it back and they test 1 stick at a time it would probably be OK and pass tests.

I only get errors if both sticks are in at the same time.

Thanks.

OK I have 4 memory slots on my mobo. Have to use matched slots to work in DDR2 mode, unmatched slots to work in non-DDR2 mode.

When using 2 matched slots (for DDR2) I get lots of errors on Memtest.

I am just trying now 2 sticks in 2 different channels (non DDR2 mode). This config has been running on MemTest for about 1 hour and no errors so far.

If I only get errors when running in DDR2 mode, would this mean that there is a fault on the mobo do you think?

Thanks

I'm sorry. I'm tired today I make a lot of mistake.

Your mobo have 4 slot

Slot 1 and 3 are yellow

Slot 2 and 4 are orange.

When your modules are on slots yellow you have errors. Exact ?

When your modules are on slots yellow and orange. You does'nt have errors. Exact ?

Try with your both module on the other channel. If you have tested on yellow slots. Test on orange slot.

Do you have errors on this configuration ?

That's OK I really appreciate your help!

Yeah if I have the ram in either both orange slots or both yellow slots there are errors (this config for DDR2).

If I put 1 stick in a yellow slot and 1 stick in an orange slot the system seems to pass the tests OK (this config non-DDR2)

Thanks for your help!

I think your mobo is OK. If the mobo was defective, you should have errors on all configuration. But you have tested the 4 slots. 4 slots seems work fine with one module putted on.

I think your ram it's not working properly. You should ask Corsair for a RMA#

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

And I am sorry but Kx2000 is mistaken, just because you get errors in memtest does not always mean a bad module. Typically if you have a failing module they will fail in a lower test (1-4) at any setting and be consistent, if its some other problem the errors may be more random and on a higher test (5-8).

I am sorry but Kx2000 is mistaken, just because you get errors in memtest does not always mean a bad module. Typically if you have a failing module they will fail in a lower test (1-4) at any setting and be consistent, if its some other problem the errors may be more random and on a higher test (5-8).

This is a good information. (The RAM that i've returned to Corsair had errors on test 2...:D:)

• Corsair Employees
Memtest like any software is or will just tell you if there are errors in the tests they preform; understanding the errors is tricky at best a improper BIOS setting or failing cache in the CPU can make it look as thou there is a memory failure.

Archived