Corsair Community

Mixing Brands in Dual Channel

Quanta

For RAM GUY,

I have Intel DG965RYCK mobo with XXXXXXXXX KVR667D2N5/256 2x256MB 667MHz (PC2-5300 CL5 1.8V) RAM working in Dual Channel Mode.Now, i am planning to add some more RAM.Can i mix these modules with Corsair VS512MB667D2? Both modules have same CAS 5-5-5-15 and 1.8V.

I would not suggest mixing memory on any system, but you are welcome to try it, sometimes it will work and sometimes it will not work.

Would you please explain me why it should not work, although they both have same CAS and voltage.

Would you please explain me why it should not work, although they both have same CAS and voltage.

The most common reason is different ICs. Then, you also have different PCBs and different SPDs. Then, there's also the MOBO/chipset and the MOBO bios. And, each of these factors compound the issue when more than 1 factor is present.

The most common reason is different ICs. Then, you also have different PCBs and different SPDs. Then, there's also the MOBO/chipset and the MOBO bios. And, each of these factors compound the issue when more than 1 factor is present.

:confused: I was not asking about the general failure reasons of mixing different brand RAM's .I am asking about my case in which there is no difference between SPDs,CAS and voltages except the manufacturer name.

If we say that,failure may cause due to different IC's used in both modules then, we all know that all manufactures do not always use same manufacturer IC's.:sigh!:

:confused: I was not asking about the general failure reasons of mixing different brand RAM's .I am asking about my case in which there is no difference between SPDs,CAS and voltages except the manufacturer name.

Mixing RAM is absolutely unpredictable so there is no way to speculate accurately about your situation. It's at best a 50/50 proposition and there is NO way to know what will happen until you install and test.

Archived