Corsair Community

Asus P5N32 SLI Premium + XMS2 6400C4

Jiden

Hi, I've always had issues with this since I've built the machine, tends to lock up under somewhat random use. I've got an Asus P5N32 SLI Premium board and have updated the bios a few times, hasn't helped. The processor is a Pentium Dual Core 2 2.4Ghz. I've got 2 pairs of XMS2 2x2048-6400C4, yet my computer won't start when all four sticks are loaded. I've only been able to run on 2 sticks with the frequent locking up problems mentioned above, have tried them all individually to make sure they work fine, they do. If my solution lies in playing with the timings or voltage, I've never played it before, so I'm not quite sure what to do, beyond going into the bios. Thanks in advance.

also wanted to add that I've got the latest bios for the board (0901), and that when I try to start with all four sticks, the system boots all the way until right before the login screen, then resets (I'm running Vista Business).

• Corsair Employees

You'll need to install MS patch 929777 from Microsoft for more than 3 GIG in Win Vista. you can search for it at http://www.microsoft.com. Watch the version of the patch as there are different versions for Vista 32 or 64 Bit.

In addition, with 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 at 2.0 Volts and just let the BIOS set the timings.

Installed the patch and set the rate to 667 and 2V, booted up no problem. The only thing is that Windows still only detects 3070 megs of ram, not the full 4 sticks. They're pushed in all the way and everything seems to be running fine otherwise, so I'm inclined to think that they're not bad. Solutions?

• Corsair Employees
This is a limitation with any X86 system running a 32-Bit Operating System. The system will only recognize 4 Gig Bit of memory Max (Not Giga-Byte) and the other memory in your system will come off of the top, like memory in your Video card and or the cache in your CPU and network card. So for example if you have 4 1.0 Gig modules Windows will see it as about 3.7 Giga Byte of memory minus the cache in your CPU and the memory in your Video card So if you have a 256 Meg Video card it might show 3.2 Giga Byte of total memory. And with some MB's they will reserve some of the memory for PCI devices in the system so that number may drop to bellow 3.0 Gig of total memory. You can find a more detailed explanation here.

Archived