Corsair Community

Bad RAM - How do i RMA?

pyr0

I have a set of "CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model VS2GBKIT667D2 "

Installed both sticks in a new build, no overclocking at all, started to load windows xp pro, and it crashed right as i was about to accept the license agreement.

Restarted, and the system, seemed to have trouble starting, it power on for about 3 seconds, then shut off, back on for about 3 seconds, and off, and so on. After about 5 tries it would sometimes start.

So i figured i had a bad component, removed all parts but the video card and 1 memory stick, it booted and posted ok, so i added the hard drive, booted again, added the dvd burner, booted again, added the second stick of memory, and started doing that restart thing again.

So removed all components except the video card, and the other chip of memory this time, started doing that restart thing on the first boot, i then proceeded to try that particular stick of memory in each ram slot on the board, same problem in all.

I went back and double checked with the good stick of ram each slot on the board, and it was fine.

My question is this, i've got my new system up and running with 1gb of RAM, even though i ordered this memory in a set of 2, can i just send the one stick back to be replaced?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived