Corsair Community

What happend with my XMS PRO XL ?

Mad76

After 2.5 years of perfectly working my 4x Corsair XMS3200-512MB (CMX512-3200XLPRO XMS32081.2) suddenly broke.

They worked 2.5 years at 400Mhz with 2.2.2.5 timing and standard voltage.

My XP desktop got a BSOD and from then my computer wont boot anymore.

I have a Asus A8N-SLI Premium mainbord, FX60 CPU

I tried:

Clear CMOS, back to original settings. No boot

Remote the 4 modules, test earch module apart. No boot

Try differend powersupply. No boot

Try other CPU. No boot

Try other PCIe 3D card. No boot

Place 1, 2 and later 4 modules in my girlfriends PC ( A8N-SLI A4200+ X2). No boot

Place girlfriends memory (Samsung PC2700 512MB REG ECC) in my PC. BOOT

Setting my A8N-SLI-Premium to DDR333, high timings, DDR voltage +0.2v. Replace the Samsungs with 2 Corsairs. No Boot

Place 1 and later 4 Corsairs in my old desktop PC ( Asus P4C800E, P4 2.6Ghz). BOOT! (WTF?)

Switch back to A8N-SLI-Premium, no boot, switch back tot the old P4C800E BOOT.

Then i ran the Memtest-bootCD, and let the 4 corsair modules test for about 14 hours, no errors. But they dont want to work in the A8N mainbords.

What's going on ?

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

I tried the the 2.72volt with 2-3-3-6 timing on both A8N mainbords, tried with 1 and 2 modules (in SLOT1A and 3A later i tested on SLOT1A and 2B). Systen still won't boot with any possible combination. Placing the modules in a P4C800E (i875) and later on a old Dell Dimension 8700 (i845, P4 1.7Ghz) and the Intel based systems runs fine, running the memtest.org, no problems.

Now i also tested on a Gigabyte Nforce4 based mainbord with a Athlon64 3200+ SanDiego, same results, no boot in any combination.

The memory is somehow bad, they won't work in AMD based NForce4 chipset mainbords anymore.

My question is, how on earth this could be possible, after 2.5years of non-stop perfectly working suddenly 4 modules went broke on NForce4 mainbords, but still working perfectly without any error on Intel based systems.

The modules never could be overheated (they always got plenty airflow) and the past 2.5years, and were running 2.7volts.

Archived