Corsair Community

Challenging query for you experts on my memory and cpu upgrade

rvc7

Here's the situation: I recently upgraded my cpu from a amd 3700 single core to a 4400 dual core Toledo. I have a total of 2GB (2 sticks). The memory is no longer functioning properly. Both dimms are functioning in slot # 1. Neither dimm function in slot #2. If I put both dimms in or just one in slot #2, no boot up and no display and can't get into bios. When I put 1 dimm into slot #1 only, it does boot up with no problem. I'd like to have dual channel with both slots functioning. Both dimms and slots function if I return the old 3700 single core cpu. Is there some setting in the bios I need to change? What about timing or latency or something. I've never overclocked a cpu or changed anything for the memory. Thanks in advance.

Here's the specs on my box and MB:

http://xc.aopen.com.tw/CubeProduct_01.aspx?auno=46

Here's the specs on the memory: VS1GB400C3

http://www.corsair.com/products/value_select.aspx

I'd be careful about updating that BIOS. If you look on the download page from the link to the rig you posted to there are only two BIOS update versions listed for very specific cpu upgrades, neither of which is dual core. There are dire warnings mentioned about updating to either of these BIOS versions if you don't have the cpu's mentioned.

Frequently, when upgrading a cpu, at a minimum, you need to clear the cmos (top of page 35 of the manual) to enable the BIOS to run it's full bore hardware detection routines at the next startup. Hopefully the BIOS version on the board you have now is capable of recognizing the particular X2 you have in the system now. If not, you might want to contact AOPEN and find out if they have an updated BIOS version that will work (maybe off the Taiwan site?). The link to the manual is at the bottom of the scroll list on the download page:

http://xc.aopen.com.tw/Cube-m-download.aspx

If everything works fine with the old CPU installed and after changing to the new CPU only you have memory problems, I would also look at the possiblity that the new CPU might have a defective memory controller in it. If you can, test the new CPU in another system to see if the problem follows it.

Yes, I have the proper bios and everything indicates that both cores are working. No, I don't have 2 other sticks to test. No, I don't have another system to test the cpu in. I'm going to return the cpu to the seller on ebay even though he claims they are brand new. He won't give me a refund but will send me another one. They are not retail, just brown paper bag. I can't even tell if they have been used before or not. If the second one does the same thing, well I just don't know. I might just give up and go back to my old 3700 single core. At least I'd have both slots running 2GB. Thanks anyway everyone.

Archived