Corsair Community

680i and OC'ing bad?

Hi all,

This is the second time I had to RMA DDR2-1066 (PC-8500) memory "overclocked" within manufacturer's specs on my ASUS Striker Extreme, and I am wondering if it has to do with Nvidia/EVGA's warnings on the same topic:

http://www.evga.com/articles/350.asp

In this most recent case, I have been running Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5 in dual-channel mode, at SPD settings of 5-5-5-15, manually set voltage to 2.2V, and manually cranked memory bus to 1067 MHz. This worked stably for 5 months.

Now, I am experiencing BSODs during intensive memory usage (ex. 3D games like Supreme Commander, etc).

I've run both Microsoft's Windows Memory Test, and Memtest86+. Both reported memory errors in both sticks of RAM. Oddly, every time I run these tests, I get errors at different memory addresses spread across both sticks. It's strange that the errors are not at consistent places.

I plan on RMA'ing my Corsair memory, but I can't help wonder ... given EVGA's comments, will this problem just continue to recur when I "overclock" to manufacturer's specs for this RAM?

Thanks, Tarrant

• Corsair Employees
Random errors like you have described would suggest some other problem, but please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.2 volts and then set SLI Ready Memory to CPU 0% and set the CPC/CR to 2T, then test with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them one up and or in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

• 2 weeks later...
Random errors like you have described would suggest some other problem, but please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.2 volts and then set SLI Ready Memory to CPU 0% and set the CPC/CR to 2T, then test with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them one up and or in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I could kiss you Ram Guy! Reading this put me right - and fixed a problem I have been having on my 680i striker extreme - Thankyou very much, I now have a rock solid stable system!

Archived