Corsair Community

Asus P5KC and Dominator Twin2x2048-8500c5d G

flyguy42

I have the two products listed in the title, running a Core 2 Duo 6850 CPU. I am unable to get the system to boot at anything other than DDR800. When I set the speed up to 1067, the system will not post. What settings are required to get this memory working at 1066?

Here is what I have set.

Cas# Latency 5

RAS# to CAS# Delay 5

RAS# Precharge 5

RAS#ACtivate to Precharge 15

TWR Auto

TRFC Auto

TWTR Auto

TRRD Auto

TRTP Auto

Dram Volage 2.2V

Everything else not memtioned is set to auto as well.

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.2 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I have run the memtests, and both sticks pass at 800mhz. However at 1066 both sticks fail, together and individually. I am running the latest bios on the board (701). I read the link on your signature, and tried setting the TWR to 5 as well.. and achived the same results. I am out of ideas on this one.

The BIOS I am running is only a few weeks old to my knowlege, and I do not see a beta available. I have also sent a tech support request to ASUS, and they just said that the issue must be with the memory. Is there anything else I can try? Do you know of any other issues with this board and memory combination?

I have run the memtests, and both sticks pass at 800mhz. However at 1066 both sticks fail, together and individually. I am running the latest bios on the board (701). I read the link on your signature, and tried setting the TWR to 5 as well.. and achived the same results. I am out of ideas on this one.

As stated previously, I am.

• Corsair Employee
Did that come on the MB or did you update it after you got the MB? If it came on the MB or if you updated the BIOS in Windows I would try and re-flash it from a Dos Boot disk to make sure its updated properly. Other than that if you tested the modules one at a time and they both fail the same way one up I would suggest trying a lower Memory frequency untill the next BIOS update and if that does not correct the issue we can try replacing the modules, but what you have posted so far would suggest some other issue.

I have exactly the same problem as flyguy42 but with Kingmax RAMs. It is 1066MHz from manufacturer, but BIOS sets them to 800MHz, any attempt of rising it to cca 950MHz and above (1067MHz including) makes system crash before OS boots, 889MHz runs well. Running on Asus P5KC and Q6600. I also got the latest bios v0701 from 3.7.2007. I think this is mobo issue.

Oh, competition censored...

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I got a replacement motherboard, and It still fails to post at 1066. Perhaps I just got a bad set of memory? Seems pretty unlikely though.

Intel4004: I have seen the same thing. I have yet to see anyone post that they have gotten the Dominators to run at 1066 on this board. Just other manufacturers. Ive never had any issues like this in the past with Corsair however... so I am wondering if its just a timing/setting issue...

• Corsair Employee

What is the model of the MB and the CPU that you are using? Please edit your signature and update the system information. If you are using the P5K and the Q6850 CPU as a few other have talked about in this thread then most likely there is some setting you are missing. I would suggest testing the modules one at a time and you will need to manually set the timings and Voltage and frequency with this MB. In addition, you will need to have the latest BIOS and we have tested this combination with out problems.

Please see the Performance Reports on these modules and other like modules to get an idea of the MB's and what we did to run them at the tested settings.

Ram Guy,

Here is what I have currenly set for my mobo...

Cas# Latency 5

RAS# to CAS# Delay 5

RAS# Precharge 5

RAS#ACtivate to Precharge 15

TWR Auto

TRFC Auto

TWTR Auto

TRRD Auto

TRTP Auto

Voltage 2.2v

FSB 333Mhz

Can you tell me what speeds I should be running for the settings I have set to auto? Maybe I can try that and see how it goes.

Hi.

I have also same problem. i have a Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard and a q6600 cpu. When I installed the new memory modules (2 x Twin2x2048-8500c5d) then is says it's 800MHz. I have the timming 5-5-5-15 set but that don't matter. Also the newest bios (1205). When i try to set them to 1066MHZ then is just won't start. I was waiting for Hyperx memory modules but after 1 month waiting I changed to this memory modules. I don't know if they would be working 1066MHz

I spend alot of money on this high end computer and then I get memory that is not working as it should. Not so good.

Why are they not working in 1066MHz and where is the problem? it don't seem to be only one MB version that have this problem so for me it seems like it's the memory that have the problem, if other brands of memory is working on same MB and in 1066MHz.

MB: Asus P5N32-E SLI (Bios 1205)

CPU: Q6600 (2.4GHz)

MEM: 2 x Twin2x2048-8500c5d Dominator (800MHZ not 1066MHZ)

GFX: 2 x Asus 8800GTS (SLI)

OS Drive: WD Raptor 1500ADFD

RAID: 5 x HITACHI DESKSTAR T7K500 500GB 7200RPM (RAID 5)

DVDR: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-755A

PSU: Tagen TG1100-U96 (1100 W)

CASE: Antec P180

MONITOR: 2 x Viewsonic VG2230wm

I was trying various settings last night... and I can get it to post at 1066 with only one stick of memory installed. However, both sticks fail the memtest. Something thought was interesting is that they both fail consistantly, but at differnet tests. One stick fails test 5 every time and the other fails test 7.

• Corsair Employee
I have no problem replacing your or anyones modules but what you all have posted would suggest some other problem. Let's get them both replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

• 4 weeks later...
Just an update. I have recieved my new modules from Corsair, and I can now successfully operate at DDR2 1000Mhz speeds... but still am unable to achive the 1067mhz oddly enough. 1000Mhz is rock solid, and passes memtests run over night. At 1067, I post but am unable to boot into windows. Tried upping voltage and relaxing timings a bit... but to no avail. :(

Just an update. I have recieved my new modules from Corsair, and I can now successfully operate at DDR2 1000Mhz speeds... but still am unable to achive the 1067mhz oddly enough. 1000Mhz is rock solid, and passes memtests run over night. At 1067, I post but am unable to boot into windows. Tried upping voltage and relaxing timings a bit... but to no avail. :(

Drop the Vdimm to 2.1V and retest. Possibly the board is overvolting somewhat.

Archived