Corsair Community

Stuck at 200 Mhz witf TWINX-3200LL

Skogkatt

First, those memory modules do exactly what they're supposed to do, i.e. running flawlessly at 200MHz, 2-3-2-6 timings. Now, if I try to increase the speed, it's a "no go". I tried 210 Mhz, 3-4-4-7, with Vdimm at 2,8V, and memtest86 returns tons or errors. I can boot, enter Windows, but Prime95 fails on the first test. To run those test I set the multiplier to 9,5 (2000 MHz CPU). Same troubles at 205 Mhz. At 200 Mhz *11, my system is rock stable (24 Hours with Prime95). Is there something wrong with my modules, or am I just unlucky? Thanks for your replies, Skogkatt System Specs: Asus A7N8X Deluxe V2.0, Bios Uber 1007. XP2500+ Barton@2200 Mhz (200*11) Vcore 1,8V. Watercooled CPU (28C Idle, 34C Load) 512 Mb Twinx-3200LL (2-3-2-6), Vdimm 2,7. 2 WD 80Gb spec. Ed. Pioneer DVD. Hercules Prophet 9700 Pro. PSU Chieftec 340 W. Win XP Pro SP1.

remember, this is PC3200 RAM ur running there, which is at a rate of 400MHz, or 200MHz dual pumped, hence DDR. Your system runs rock solid because you are correctly clocked @ 200. Overclocking is a give or take. U get lucky or u don't. But generally speaking, changing the clock speed on RAM is risky business. If anything, try changing your voltage a bit (bring it down maybe) and adjust your RAM timings until you get the performance you want. Remember that RAM can sometimes be very sensitive to voltage changes and may easily fry out if ur not careful.

you have revision 1.2 of 3200LL. they contain winbond CH5. leave your vdimm at 2.6, and do not go any higher. this ram hates voltage. youll get about DDR442-DDR446 (221-223) in DC 1:1. with SC, you may get a bit higher. use slots 1&3 for DC and slot 3 (furthest from the CPU) for SC. for your asus board, use Uber 1004. this is the best OC'ing, power enabled and stable bios for the board. if you have SATA, use Uber 1004 with the new SATA fix. flash via dos. awdflash 1004RU.BIN /py /sn /cc /cd /cp /LD /R you do not need to clear CMOS after flashing. the loosest timings that work best for your ram is CL2T, 3-4-11 (tRP-tRCD-tRAS). the tightest would be CL2T, 2-3-11 (tRP-tRCD-tRAS). CL2.5T will most probably do nothing for your OC. CL3 doesnt work well on nF, and the ram wont take to well to it either. leave your cpu interface enabled (this is command rate 1T), lock your AGP @ 66, memory @ 100% (1:1 SYNC). your barton may have problems on the 10 and 10.5 multi's >200FSB. use 9.5 for finding your max fsb, then 11, since your watercooled. Remix 2.45a works best EXCLUDING the IDE, and the IDE drivers from 3.43 work best. after installing, you can rollback all the memory controller drivers through device manager back to windows stock. this will gain you about 7-10mb/s and possibly more in throughput (depending on your FSB mark). if you havent done so already, pick up an extra bios chip and or a bios saviour. my asus board just died from bios corruption, and there hasnt been a recover method implemented on the board.

Thanks for your answers. Singularity : I'll try to be cool with my voltages (The uber bios gives voltages between 2,5 and 2,9V). Are all memories very sensitive or is it just my brand? Could it help to use additionnal cooling for the RAM? Pershoot : I'll flash my bios to 1004, but I made some tests with your suggested settings. Less errors, but still errors (even at 204 Mhz)...Nice machine BTW, I'm looking forward to get one of those Mobile XP (Not easy to find in Norway today). This leads to another question : If I'm stucked to 200 with bios 1004, wouldn't it be a good idea to switch to a more overcloker friendly board (DFI for example) and feed it with Twinx 4000? Shouldn't the additionnal speed compensate for the higher timings?

#1: DFI Lan Party (#1 for the consistent 250 fsb) #2: NF7 Rev 2 (can do more without mods.. and the chipset volt mod can be done with a pencil, bios corruption is very very slim, and there is a recover mode implemented). #3: A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2 (its #3 because of having to do mods to get overvolts, and bios corruption). you should get ram that you can run as tight to slightly "off tight" as possible, equated with as high a fsb as you can reach, without losing performance. pc4000 just wasnt really made for the AMD platform. you can use it, sure and possibly run it tight. but i bet you could hit the promised 245-250 range of the DFI with some really good pc3500 and most definitely good pc3700. the NF7 has been known to get there as well. ive even seen some older pc2700 with winbond bh-6 hit 240 range. id say 2.8-2.9, and some even argue 3.0-3.2 (not me though) is a safe voltage to run 24/7, if the ram has heatspreaders on them, they arent generic, good airflow, and if the ram is accepting of it (the voltage). corsair's warranty runs out after 2.8 on pc3500 (hard to find) and pc3700. winbond bh-5 eats voltage up, and is the one and only true performer on AMD, as you have seen. not all success stories, but i believe that may be tied to a later production run (nearing the end of distribution). the older winbond ch-5, like twinmos's older sticks and even corsair's older ch-5 have been known to love voltage. these ch5 were also able to run a RAS to CAS of 2 (twinmos). thats just lottery luck i guess, ha. even the rare occasion of current twinmos ch5 will be accepting of it (voltage). it all depends on the specific 'VR' and the specific PCB. but generally winbond ch-5 hate voltage because of this voltage regulator. anything above 1004 is horrible for OC'ing. i was not stable at any setting on 1007. 3200LLPT rev 1.2 contains winbond CH-5. these IC's contain a voltage regulator in them. what does that mean to us? they hate voltage and react negatively to it. so trying to push further (either tighter or further), when the ram may be able to do it, is stopped in its tracks, because it wont accept any more voltage to try and tame it. keep a low multi and find your max fsb. ive seen bartons do a nice sized fsb here and there on the asus. my tbred went all the way up to 223 with the ram you have. and yes, the mobiles are very niiice:) not done yet though.. will push higher, want to break the cpu in and bring temps down slightly so i can keep my fan low. enjoy:)

Congratulations Pershoot! You are right, switching to 1004 Uber changed things drastically. I'm testing as we speak with memtest86, and so far everything is ok at 215 Mhz with your suggested timings. Thanks also for your explanations about memory chips; If I understood well I can't play on voltages with CH-5, and not for heat reasons; Are there other tricks to squeeze more power? I'll switch my mobo to DFI; I plan to watercool the north bridge, so let's do it on a board that seems to have the highest potential. Even if I can't boost the ram i'll get more voltages for the CPU... Thanks again for your precious help!

at 220 I had some erratic results from Memtest86: 6 errors in first pass, 2 in second, none in 3rd, etc. So i raised a little the voltage (2.7): So far I have no more errors. Maybe I'm one of those lucky who can raise the voltage on 3200Rev 1.2 : -) Just to know : If the memory doesn't like the Voltage I run, is there a kind of warning (errors, crashes) or does it just suddenly fry?

very cool. no youll just get errors/instability/BSOD's, etc. you should use prime95 for testing though. [url]http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm[/url] the stick is warrantied up to 2.8 i wish i could raise mine past 2.6. maybe i should RMA, and pray i get a better batch:)

It seems that my optimal settings are 221 Mhz@2.7V: 46 passes in memtest86 without error, and now running Prime95 for 7 hours... I still have to find how high the cpu can go now. BTW, if CH-5 are voltage limited, how about BH-6? Some manufacturers seem to get good results with them. And again, thanks to pershoot for the very precise and useful info.

Archived