Corsair Community

Reboots / Blue Screens

Bugamol

Posting this here after trying another forum I visit frequently and having no real solid answers... Thanks in advance.

Problem description:

About 3 weeks ago one stick of my, CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWINX2048-3200, died on me. I ran a RAM test it failed so I sent it in for an RMA and got a new stick of RAM.

Now I have the new stick of RAM, and as far as I can tell so far, I boot my computer it works fine, I shut it down, boot it up again the next day and within about an hour it either blue screens and tells me their is a physical memory error, or just reboots. Upon rebooting it will not start up, it will turn on then will have a long beep followed by two short/quick ones. It will then restart again (never getting to the initial boot screen) and make the same noise until I move one module of my memory to another slot where the process seems to restart. I'll boot the computer once it'll work just fine, then I'll reboot the next day and it will crash / reboot / blue screen after about 30 mins to an hour.

Attempted fixes:

When I sent my memory in corsair told me that if I didn't send them both sticks that there would be a possibility that my RAM would no longer work in dual channel mode, since I don't really care, they were unsure of the turn around time, and the fact that I don't have any extra RAM sitting around I only sent them one stick.

Initially I had it set up in the regular dual channel mode and it booted / ran fine until the above problem happened, at which point I thought that it just wasn't going to work in dual channel mode, so I moved the ram to a different slot making it single channel, again same thing boots fine/runs fine until reboot at which point it will no longer run, moved the RAM back to dual channel same thing happend, moved it back to single channel, but a different slot and the same thing is still happening.

I've ran a ram test on each stick individually and on both sticks at the same time while in single channel mode, and they all come back clean.

Recent changes:

No other changes than the fact that it's a new stick of RAM.

The only other weird thing that I noticed is when I ram the test from memtest.org the settings came up as follows:

Old Stick (The one I didn't send in)

Settings: RAM 201 MHZ (DDR403) / CAS 3-3-3-8 / DDR-1 (64bits)

New Stick

Single Channel (Both Sticks)

Settings: RAM 158 MHZ (DDR316) / CAS 3-3-3-7 / DDR-1 (64bits)

Dual Channel (Both Stick)

Now I know more than the average person about computers, but I've never touched overclocking / RAM / CPU settings in anyway, so I don't know if this is odd, but I noticed it was different so thought I'd point it out

--

Operating system:

Windows XP Home SP2

System specs:

AMD 3700+, ASUS A8N SLI, EVGA 7950GT, 2 Gigs Corsair XMS Series RAM, Antec Truepower 2 550 Watt power supply, WD 250gig and WD 200 Gig SATA 3.0.

Updates

1. The problem is still very consistent. I will boot my computer once after moving the ram and everything will work without a flaw, no problems no reboots. I will then shut my computer down for the night and the next time that I turn it on within an hour of using it, it will either crash/lock up/blue screen/reboot and then it will not get back to the boot screen.

Basically this is what happened to me last night. I moved the ram stick last night due to it crashing, followed up by making this post and doing the other regular things I do on the computer, and then this morning it crashed again, changed the memory slots and now we'll see what happens.

Also I was wrong it's one long beep followed by two short ones.

2. Added RAM settings for dual channel since I ram another RAM test and it still passed.

• Corsair Employees
Also I was wrong it's one long beep followed by two short ones.

If memory serves me that would suggest a Video problem, can you test the modules in another system and see if the problem follows the memory?

If memory serves me that would suggest a Video problem, can you test the modules in another system and see if the problem follows the memory?

Sure can, won't be today but I can. I'll bump this with an update when I do.

Archived