Corsair Community

P5N32 SLI Premium - Corsair XMS2 6400

Popcorn Avenger

I bought a new system last October and selected 2GB of the Corsair XMS2 Extreme DDR2 memory. The installed memory was labeled as follows:

CM2x1024-6400_____________________5-5-5-12

xms6405v4.1________________________800MHZ

526678 0647061-7__________________xms2-6400

Desiring to upgrade it to 4GB of memory, I ordered what I thought was the same memory from newegg. The shipped memory is labeled

CM2x1024-6400 G___________________5-5-5-12

xms6405v5.1_______________________800MHZ

382633 07291211-0________________xms2-6400

After I installed it all hell broke loose. Serious system instability, with the computer either failing to post, random reboots while loading WinXP, and then finally, after I powered back up after doublechecking their installation, my C drive became corrupted and I lost the entire OS. Since then I yanked the new memory and resintalled the operating system.

The computer is back in operation with the old memory - frankly, I'm afraid to test the new memory by itself in the event of another HD corruption. I have the BIOS set to "Optimal" settings for memory and it runs the two sticks at 5-5-5-18 800 Mhz Dual Channel.

I read its inadvisable to install memory with different version numbers (4.1 versus 5.1 ?). I thought I was getting the same memory but apparently not? I also have no clue what the "G" is after the 6400 on the label -I couldn't find it searching the Corsair website. Also, the memory configuration utility on the Corsair website doesn't even list the Premium version of the P5N32 SLI.

It's been 10 years since I bought a computer, I'm not an expert anymore . . . . so I'm fumbling in the dark here, knowing little about timings, latencies, voltages, etc.

Any help or suggestions about my options would be appreciated, including RMAing the new memory, having to order two more sticks and *hoping* the version number is 5.1, ways to get what I have now working, etc.

• 9 months later...

I'm unsure about the accuracy of the symptoms in my previous post as I've given it another go at installing another 2GB as well as altering the frequency and voltage of the memory bus. I set the memory bus voltage to 2.1v and the freq to 600Mhz.

The computer did post. The BIOS recognized the memory. Then on the windows boot screen (with the progress bar) I lost the video. A subsequent reboot resulted in the same symptom, and then even when I removed the RAM it persisted!

Eventually I had to fallback to an earlier Windows restore point to get the system to boot, apparently some windows or driver files were corrupted beyond the ability of fdisk to repair.

At this point I'm scared s-less to even try again. I certainly would install the 4 megs and then run Memtest+ to verify them. I'm even considering taking it to a shop to see if they can help. A bit humiliating.

Just a few questions. If there's a "Memory Upgrade for Dummies" useful link or post that's as good as an answer let me know, in the meantime I will be "boning up" on this anyway

1. Won't slowing the memory bus frequency result in a drop in system performance rather than a gain? What's better, 2GB at 800Mhz or 4 at 667?

- I bought the RAM to improve system performance . . . .

2. Is there a hotfix required for Windows XP Pro to recognize the RAM?

I was told as much but so far searching the MS website as well as trying to google it is coming up empty.

- I've got a feeling the RAM is fine, and I'm battling Windows itself

3. Would 3 GB serve just as well? Would two sticks run Dual Channel and one not, or would that prevent all of them from doing so?

4. Anyone using a ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium board with 4GB successfully installed (and stable!)? If so, any pointers, or even better, Frequency, Voltage, and Timing info you could share?

Any help for this memory upgrading noob is appreciated. Frankly, if I had known it was going to be this painful to try to upgrade I'd have forced myself to be content with 2GB (and that's very likely going to happen) . . .

I read its inadvisable to install memory with different version numbers (4.1 versus 5.1 ?). I thought I was getting the same memory but apparently not? I also have no clue what the "G" is after the 6400 on the label -I couldn't find it searching the Corsair website. Also, the memory configuration utility on the Corsair website doesn't even list the Premium version of the P5N32 SLI.
Correct, mixing versions / ICs is not recommended. Most memory controllers don't like it. G = ROHS compliant (all of Corsair's sticks are now ROHS compliant, so you may not see the G anymore). Basically, it means lead free.

Corsair Modules Compatible with the Asus P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi AP

1. Won't slowing the memory bus frequency result in a drop in system performance rather than a gain? What's better, 2GB at 800Mhz or 4 at 667?

- I bought the RAM to improve system performance . . . .

Depends on WHY / WHERE you want to improve performance.

2. Is there a hotfix required for Windows XP Pro to recognize the RAM?

I was told as much but so far searching the MS website as well as trying to google it is coming up empty.

Only for it to show the correct number, not for anything else. If you have 32-bit XP, you are limited by DESIGN. 64-bit XP can fully use 4 GB.

3. Would 3 GB serve just as well? Would two sticks run Dual Channel and one not, or would that prevent all of them from doing so?
Won't help when mixing versions.

Archived